No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: I D for a bit of fun  (Read 1956 times)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: I D for a bit of fun
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 11:54:39 PM »
The elements in the "multi-cane complex cane" varies. And the number of canes in each element is also variable. For example, a final cane could have, say, 16 elements and maybe 8 of those elements would have 14 individual canes, while 3 other elements provide 24 canes each and the remaining elements give 19 canes. That would be 279 individual canes.

The only example I have is in the weight illustrated in Bob Hall's Scottish Paperweights book, top of page 127. (I bought it directly from the previous owner.) The complex cane was described in the book as having "no less than 200 individual cogs and tubes". It actually has something like the 279 I gave in the hypothetical example above, plus 1 for the "py" cane!

I really must count them properly one day. ;D
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Roger H

• Members
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 04:04:34 PM »
Hi Kev, I see you have yellow and white spiral cane base of a 3 inch diameter, mine is a 2.8 inch diameter.  They are both weights of the utmost professionalism aren't they.
    If you feel you have a couple of hours to spare have a count, I assume you are only going to count the setup canes not the individual canes or 2 days would be better.
       Regards Roger.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Roger H

• Members
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 04:09:54 PM »
Nick,thanks for the weight. I can get to 200 ish but haven't got a camera that will magnify and focus nearer to be able to expand and segment off the photo.
         Regards Roger.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2014, 12:39:30 AM »
The images below show:
1. the full complex cane from my weight
2. the apparently similar elements around the "py" cane, which themselves are complex canes
3. a count of all the canes

The count covers "simple canes" - but not the parts (central rod, star etc.) that were used to make those. I have checked the outer edge of the full cane and I am happy that all of the "simple canes" are visible (although perhaps not very clear) in Image 1.

Image 2. is an "exploded" view of the "py" cane with the five "complex cane" elements surrounding it. Those five elements can be seen fairly easily in image 1. because the edges are reasonably visible. The outer canes are formed from similar complex elements but are compacted more tightly and are not easily visible by outline. However, it is very likely that there are 10, 11 or 12 such elements in the outer part of the full cane.

As shown in Image 2. the elements, by form and colour, appear at first glance to be much the same. There are some identical "simple canes" that make up these five complex elements. However, even allowing for slippage or loss from view of some of the "simple canes", or even inversion of the complex element, close scrutiny shows each element to be different!

The count analysis shown in Image 3. gives a total of 276 "simple canes" together with the "py" cane making 277, which I think is quite close to my earlier estimate. (smiles smugly) :D

Edited to add: Can you spot the error in Image 2. !! ::)
KevinH

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2014, 07:34:29 AM »

Hi Kevin.  Your arithmetic for the one cane would be correct in base 11....but would not match the cane  ;)

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline Roger H

• Members
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2014, 08:38:33 PM »
Differening? is that a new word.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2014, 12:12:12 PM »
Definition:

Differening = The process of occasionally using base 11 arithmetic to incorrectly calculate the total elements within geometric patterns.
KevinH

Offline Roger H

• Members
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2014, 04:36:48 PM »
Now that sounds like a very useful symbolic solution ;D   Danke schone, sehr gut, ich verstehen sie ein wenig. I intend to work on making paperweights in the future but to get to the workmanship of these weights will take me another 200 years. I'll show you when I have finished one.
      Regards Roger

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand