No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Some New P/W Czech (Sklo) Buys  (Read 7971 times)

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Some New P/W Czech (Sklo) Buys
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2006, 05:08:30 PM »
Now when exactly did you plant that spy camera in my flat ?

Yes, I did and I do and I got it out this morning - a paperweight (incidentally with a Bohemia stethoscope label  :roll: )  

I was going to mention it and changed my mind as there seemed little connection apart from the exactness of the bubblework which is remarkable.

I had thought that the bubbles where an order of magnitude smaller in the papweeight but didn't pick up Boris the ashtray and therefore failed to take account of his magnification effects.  Now, viewed from below I see that Boris's bubbles are only a few microns larger.

So yes this is one of the reasons I think it's Harrachov.

As to the color combo, it bears an uncanny resemblance to this labelled Skrdlovice currently residing in Iowa.

and a combo rarely if ever seen in Murano.
Pete

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2006, 05:14:04 PM »
Hi

Interesting Peter, I would say you have my pieces Mother (or Father LOL).

I have no conclusive proof of mine being Czech either, but it just feels Czech - something about the quality of the glass and the very precise nature of the bubble grid.

Ref the blue bowl - thanks Ivo & Tiger.

It is part of a large range as suggested, first designed in 1964 by Toikka for Nuttarjarvi (L Jackson 20th C Factory Glass pp148 - called 'Dew Drop')

The design is given a whole page in 'Il Vetro Progettato - Electa 2000 pp206. Although in Italian I can make out the design is called 'Kastehelmi' the brief text states that production stopped at Nuttarjarvi in 1970. It doesn't give any clues as to which of the Finnish factories continued production. I know it is now made in multi colours by Iittala, even in two tone, pictures are shown of what I think is the original clear glass version and the now more colourful variety.

My piece is modern- I should look at my books more LOL

Thanks

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2006, 03:19:46 PM »
Just to throw another nailhead bubble ashtray into the equation. This one is blue on amber and is 8.5 cm at its widest. It has a ground but not polished base with a lot of wear. Bubbles are spaced at about 5 mm. Click on pic to enlarge

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2006, 09:18:41 PM »
Thanks Christine
There are differences however........
1) This one is a more standard Murano shape
2) The amber is a straightforward amber rather than the pinkish / rose amber of mine and Adam's.
3) I cant really compare the size of the bubbles from a photo but just to note that then ones in mine are really tiny - pinhead rather than nailhead size.
4) Finally the bubbles here are ranked square rather than diamond and swirling in mine.
5) The un-polished base is worrying & usually a sign of Chinese or A.N. Other Country (ie neither Murano, nor Czech, nor Scandi, nor UK nor USA) make.
Pete

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand