No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Some New P/W Czech (Sklo) Buys  (Read 7904 times)

Offline David555

• Members
Some New P/W Czech (Sklo) Buys
« on: May 21, 2006, 10:31:25 PM »
Hi

Some p/w Czech glass I bought recently while involved in debate ‘Chalet or Czech’

František Vizner long vase or jardinière 1961, 6.2” long, 4.2” high

Small Sklo Union vase, 3.3” high

Harrtil bowl, 5” across, 2.4” high

Here is a giggle (Marcus) link  

Better image of previously posted bowl

Beautiful Sklo Union Paperweight in neodymium with bubbles perfectly balanced & as good as any piece of Caithness. 3.6” high and almost bullet shaped it has a yellow export label.  

I think this medium sized bowl is Sklo – can you confirm this Marcus?

This small ashtray bowl has been seen before. It has perfect controlled bubbles and is a blue case in pink. Often attributed to Murano I feel it is Czech, what do others think

Rudolf Jurnikl 'cog' bowl for Rudolfova Hut 1970s

Thanks everyone

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 10:58:34 PM »
I'd be interested to know about the medium bowl as I've had one in amber. I thought mine was an ashtray though. How big is it, please?
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 11:13:07 PM »
Hi Tiger

The bowl is 6" diam, 1" high - but I am sure I have seen smaller and larger ones
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 06:54:54 AM »
Looks to me the neodymium PW is ZBS; the blue bowl is TTBOMK Finnish (Toikka); the nailmould ashtray Murano.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 03:14:23 PM »
Great buys Adam 8)

Good to see another paperweight like mine - with the same sticker.   "Neodymium" - is that the curious bluey/green tinge that can be seen in it?  Fantastically tactile piece of glass and beautifully made I agree  http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/misc578.jpg I got it as a swap - but I think I came off better.

Ivo - sorry to be so thick - but what is ZBS?  :oops:

On a lighter note, I've just seen a small Sklo Union vase similar to yours shown,  but identical to one I showed previously with internal ridges, described as a Victorian/Edwardian eye bath on eBay.
Anne E.B

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 03:27:36 PM »
ZBS = Zelezny Brod Sko

Anne your weight is same as mine - 'Neodymium colours glass in delicate shades ranging from pure violet through wine-red and warm grey'

Simple test - notice how in different light your weight changes colour from grey blue through to violet - sometimes known as 'rare earth'

Nice swap Anne - great to have the Sklo label

Adam P

Sklounion

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 03:52:17 PM »
Zeleznobrodske Sklo.

The link has me reaching to peel the Glassexport and Chribska labels from my piece (I think not) :lol:

I believe the paper-weights were based on designs by Jelinek.

Regards,

Marcus

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 05:15:19 PM »
Quote from: "David555"
Hi Tiger

The bowl is 6" diam, 1" high - but I am sure I have seen smaller and larger ones

A shot in the dark here, but, any chance of this bowl being made by Sowerby, Davidsons or Jobling? It's just that when I placed my amber bowl next to an amber Sowerby bowl the colour matched exactly. This kind of blue colour on your bowl was used by both Jobling and Davidsons, not sure about Sowerby though.

I probably soud silly as the design does not remind me of any of these glass companies.  :oops:

I noticed also that the glass was very good quality.
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2006, 05:25:26 PM »
Tiger
Both colors were used by a wide variety of companies.
I'm inclined to go with Ivo's Oiva Toikka attribution pro tem, otherwise iittala.

Adam & others
Beautiful Sklo Union Paperweight in neodymium with bubbles perfectly balanced & as good as any piece of Caithness. 3.6” high and almost bullet shaped it has a yellow Sklo label.

To note and clarify:
As mentionned in other topics Marcus has noted that the Bohemia label was used on the products of factories NOT part of Sklo Union as well.

Neither ZBS nor Chribska were part of Sklo Union.

(PS don't feel bad ....I'm only one step ahead of you on this complex subject)
Pete

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2006, 08:48:38 PM »
Quote from: "paradisetrader"

(PS don't feel bad ....I'm only one step ahead of you on this complex subject)

Peter, If I were only one step behind you, I would be thrilled to bits, believe me :P  
I'm talking light years behind, not steps :lol:
Anne E.B

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand