No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Some New P/W Czech (Sklo) Buys  (Read 7972 times)

Offline David555

• Members
Some New P/W Czech (Sklo) Buys
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2006, 08:55:19 PM »
Good point Peter, my fault - Marcus pointed this out in a recent thread.

So it was used as an export label for Sklo (sometimes you get the factory label as well) and how many other Czech factories?

I only just recieved a good p/w Czech glass book and cannot easily find information refernce this.

Thanks

Adam
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Sklounion

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2006, 09:33:59 PM »
Adam,
Following the nationalisation of all Czech and Slovak glass companies, export relations were put into the hands of two organisations, Skloexport, offices in Liberec and Prague (better known in the West as Glassexport) and Jablonex, (offices in Jablonec,) charged with the export of beads, and costume jewellery manufactured in and around Jablonec nad Nisou.

Confusion arises immediately, when Jablonec-produced ashtrays, carry Glassexport labels.

So it is perhaps easier to say whose glass did not carry Glassexport labels (ie; Bohemia Glass/ Bohemia Crystal, Made in Czechoslovakia.)

NO factory based in the Slovak region carried this label.

For the rest, which did:
Exbor,
Egermann,
Harrachov,
Borske Sklo,
Bohemia Podebrady,
Borocrystal,
Zeleznobrodske Sklo (ZBS)
Karlovarske Sklo Moser,
Crystalex,
Cesky Kristal,
Kvetna,
Moravske Sklarny,
Sklo Union (all four production units)
Chribska.
Inwald.
VUUS,
Jablonecke Sklo.

Note that it is entirely possible that the Glassexport label may also appear on glass from Skrdlovice, and other small series glass artwork.

Any label attributable to Sklo Union carries the old Inwald crossed Js.

Please, for new-comers sakes, sklo in Czech means glass, so to use the word alone, can be confusing. If anyone means Sklo Union, please use the complete term to refer to that organisation. Not all readers who arrive here will have sufficient knowledge to realise what is being referred to.

regards,

Marcus

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2006, 09:54:42 PM »
Fantastic Marcus

Thanks as always :D  :D  :D

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2006, 10:04:33 PM »
Quote from: "paradisetrader"
Tiger
Both colors were used by a wide variety of companies.
I'm inclined to go with Ivo's Oiva Toikka attribution pro tem, otherwise iittala.

Ooops, sorry, I missed Ivo's attribution.  :oops:
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2006, 07:09:03 AM »
Quote from: "Tigerchips"
Quote from: "paradisetrader"
Tiger
Both colors were used by a wide variety of companies.
I'm inclined to go with Ivo's Oiva Toikka attribution pro tem, otherwise iittala.

Ooops, sorry, I missed Ivo's attribution.  :oops:

The range the turquoise bowl is from is called Kastehelmi (translates roughly as 'Dewdrop'), originally designed 1964 by Toikka for Nuutajärvi. It had a long production period, I'm not sure until when, comprising various bowls, plates, coasters, candleholders, cups etc. Produced in many different colours—the blue colour shown, clear, amber, dark green, grey and others.

I've never seen any with Iittala stickers, which would date them post circa 1992, from when Nuutajärvi glass was marketed as Iittala.
There's a candleholder/vase in my album
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-1306
robbo

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2006, 11:09:56 AM »
Thanks Robbo

That is excellent information

Adam P

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2006, 12:21:59 PM »
Item #7
I have a similar item ...at least it looks like it belongs to the same series. Terry also has one.

I have it in my mind that these were made at Harrachov but not sure where I got that idea from.
Pete

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2006, 12:32:35 PM »
I have 2 scallop shaped ones which were identified by Paul as probably Seguso.

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2006, 01:15:07 PM »
Aaaaaah Seguso ....always a good standby
Sorry but I've lived with this one for several years, it's not happy anywhere near any of my Murano and insists on being alone if not with it's known Czech friends.

I fully expect it to do a Czech peasant jig to strains of the balalaika any moment now. Seriously, I am as sure as I can possibly be without "proof".
Pete

Sklounion

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2006, 04:45:48 PM »
Hi,
Peter, did you not buy an example of  Harrachov "controlled bubble" work some time ago? Does this seem right in comparison to that piece? Yes I know scale is different, but it is always difficult to be definitive about some of these items.
Regards,
Marcus

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand