No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: My first paperweight - now I may be hooked  (Read 2088 times)

Offline uphoosier

• Members
My first paperweight - now I may be hooked
« on: May 22, 2006, 03:05:48 AM »
I've never paid much attention to paperweights, but this one was screaming my name.  I know this is backwards, but now I'd like to know what I have.  I'm off to the library tomorrow for books to learn some of the terminology, but I'm hoping someone here can help with a couple of questions.  First, is there a nomenclature for this type of design?  Second, I can make out the coptright of 1/87, but can't for the life of me read the signature.  Does anyone recognize the name?  Many thanks.
Ken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 07:35:29 AM »
I can't read the signature, but it looks like a Michael O'Keefe to me.  Lovely weight!   :shock:  Great beginning to a collection!   :D
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 05:55:07 PM »
Hi Ken,

For a brief mention of the work of Michael O'Keefe, see The Art of the Paperweight by Lawrence H. Selman (1988). The colouring and general effect of those weights was achieved by a processs called "silver veining". O'Keefe's work was said to be reminiscent of early work by Dominick Labino - another name to check out.

Although my main focus is on older Scottish weights, I would like to have some examples of O'Keefe's weights as I think they were amongst the best of that type.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline uphoosier

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 03:22:25 AM »
Thanks so much for your comments.  The signature is M O'keefe.  I'll check out the book you mentioned.  I've been collecting marbles for a while, and as with paperweights, I am impressed with the technical skill required to achieve the desired patterns as well as the artistry in visualizing what the finished product will look like.  I just hope my tatste gravitates to something that fits my wallet.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand