No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sowerby Rd. 99715 dated 9th May 1888.  (Read 817 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Sowerby Rd. 99715 dated 9th May 1888.
« on: April 16, 2014, 05:06:55 PM »
just for show really, but also happy if anyone wishes to use for their own private library.

Struck me as being a little less than ordinary with this incurved top rim, and the pattern did make me think of some of the ABP cut pieces.       
Simon Cottle describes this design as 'Imitation Cut'  -  a description which it's possible he has taken from the factory records, but I don't know for certain - but it certainly does a very good job of looking the part.
The Rd. No. and the factory trade mark are inside at the base of the bowl, on opposing sides.
I would have included the original Board of Trade drawing from The National Archives, but seems I don't have this  -  but will rectify in the coming days. :)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Re: Sowerby Rd. 99715 dated 9th May 1888.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 09:11:45 PM »
Thank you for showing this, Paul.

Thompson gives the design description as ‘Elaborate imit. cut’.

This is the first time I have seen a piece with just this RD number. The only other piece I have a photo reference for with RD 99715 is an oval pressed glass dish, 8¾  x 6¼  inches, actually bearing TWO RD numbers - RD 99715, and RD 106938 (registered 31 August 1888, and also described by Thompson as ‘Elaborate imit. cut’) – plus the  Sowerby peacock mark.

(Permission for the re-use of these images on the GMB granted by Rob Young).

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Sowerby Rd. 99715 dated 9th May 1888.
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 09:39:11 PM »
you had me worried for a moment  -  I've rechecked this bowl, and it definitely does show one No. only, plus the peacock's head.
Presumably the other No., on Rob's dish, covers the shape  -  so made me think a similar situation might have existed with this bowl, but obviously not.
Regret I don't know the factory pattern No.            When I next go to Kew I'll have a look at both 99715 and 106938.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand