No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Lifetime collection needs loving home  (Read 2499 times)

Offline Billip

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Fine wine
    • Scotland
Lifetime collection needs loving home
« on: April 17, 2014, 08:10:11 AM »

Hi Guys,

My Grandmother  was a life-long collector of glassware but sadly she passed away.

She was massive collector and one of her collections she left me was her glass collection.

Being honest I have 2 children that would soon reduce it to rubble so I thought I best pass it on to some of her fellow glass lovers.

I stuck an auction up on ebay but I’m not sure the glass loving community are finding the listing as its still at 0.99p and it would absolutely gall me to allow something she put time and dedication into all her life going for less than the can of an energy drink.

If you search ebay.co.uk for: Large eclectic collection of glassware

It should be the only hit. If you guys are not interested if you could pelase pass this on to anyone you think it may be of interest to.

Many many thanks

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Re: Lifetime collection needs loving home
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 08:18:52 AM »
Welcome to GMB, however, this post should really be in the Glass Marketplace. This area is really for glass study and will not get the same sort of audience.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 08:19:41 PM »
hi Billip - sorry to hear of the loss of your Gran - I remember mine with immense affection, so can understand your wish not to 'give away' these things for which she had such passion.

However, we have to be realistic, and collectors will not appreciate those sentiments you obviously have for her possessions.     Modern coloured glass is not my area, but I don't see anything there that will cause collectors to have sleepless nights, and it's probably unrealistic to expect one buyer to want all of Gran's glass.
My opinion would be that weighed against the possible total sale value, the costs of packing and postage etc., might well mean that you are not be looking at much return.
May I make a suggestion - just my personal opinion you understand - but had you considered donating these pieces to a charity shop  -  a charity that might have held some meaning for Gran - did she have a cat or dog for example - in which case perhaps you might consider the RSPCA.
At least this way, there might be some satisfaction that Gran's lifelong passion would be directed to a good cause.

Whatever happens I wish you luck. :)

Offline Billip

• Members
    • Fine wine
    • Scotland
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 08:51:20 PM »
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies.

I  did consider giving these to charity but I did not know the worth, for all I know about glass there is a masterpiece amongst them.

My sister got roughly £4,000 worth of jewellery so I suspected there was something of value in the collection as we were equally close to my Grandmother.

C'est la vie

Billip

Offline Billip

• Members
    • Fine wine
    • Scotland
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 09:01:19 PM »
At least its going for more than a can of energy drink now!

If you search ebay.co.uk for: 201071974020

I can now buy 21 energy drinks!

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 09:08:32 PM »
Was going to say there's always the option of sending them to auction  -  pieces tend usually to find their own level  -  a lot of people look at catalogues and they can spot the gems, if they're there.   Just a thought.
Do let us know some time if your suspicions were well founded - we'd be happy to hear that you'd been as successful as your sister :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand