No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: lidded uranium box?  (Read 930 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: lidded uranium box?
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 10:52:38 PM »
It has a nice colour to the green as wel l, slightly yellowish which I like.  Different to a green Josephinenhutte piece I had which was quite 'flat' by comparison.  I think it is quite old, as Paul says, possibly Bohemian (maybe then decorated for the Persian market perhaps?) and yes I think the handle will have been gilded.
Can you do some close ups without evening lighting to see the colour and the frosted part of the glass please?
Everton here  ;D  We're a bit in despair at the mo - veered from booking holidays abroad and discussing which country, to all glumness at the mo from my boys  ::)
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 11:08:26 PM »
Toffees ehh,big games tomoz!,i'll get some photo's up tomorrow :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2014, 11:49:48 PM »
I've come across an amazing site with documented items from Persian women and I'm pretty sure at the least that my box was made for the Persian market (possibly also yours as I've found a yellowy green uranium glass enamelled perfume or scent type bottle on there as well).  What I'm not sure of is where the glass was made.  That site has it as 20th century,no other details but I think it's possible that particular piece might be 19th century as well.  It's more a documented collection of 'personal items' belonging to Iranian women, rather than details of where made etc.  There are at least two pieces that I've queried on another thread as being possibly Beykoz Turkish glass, that I believe were made also for the Persian market.  Where they were made I don't know, i.e. whether Turkish or Iranian  or Bohemian 19 century. 
It's possible both our boxes are Bohemian but 'made' i.e enamelled for the Persian market maybe.
Sorry, can't share the link  :-X
m

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2014, 08:46:05 AM »
The photo is as good as i can get m, other things to mention are the white bits in the glass and air bubbles,it's thin with maybe a small amount of lead but not alot and doesn't seem that old but i really don't know. ???

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2014, 05:46:06 PM »
are the rims of both the lid and box cut and polished and bevelled both sides of the flat polished rim?
Here's a pic of the rims on my box.

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2014, 08:00:02 PM »
Just had a good look and yes they are.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2014, 09:46:43 PM »
I've not found anything to link the actual glass, either yours uranium green or mine transparent ish white opaline, to Beykoz (Turkey) for example. Their glass appears to be quite opaque opaline and not the same colours as either of our pieces.  But I do believe the enamelling is done for the Persian market.  Will add more if I find.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand