No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Rare Davidson Blue Pearline Coral & Shell Vases  (Read 1233 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Rare Davidson Blue Pearline Coral & Shell Vases
« on: April 15, 2014, 07:39:55 PM »
For reference 2 rare Davidson blue pearline coral and shell vases. I have not seen these vases in pearline before.

Roy

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Rare Davidson Blue Pearline Coral & Shell Vases
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 04:37:16 PM »
Good to see, ta very much.

John

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 06:35:51 PM »
Thanks John

They are both marked on the base with the Davidson Lion trade mark.

I showed them to Chris and Val Stewart who said they had never seen them in pearline before, will be sending them some pictures so may hopefully be included in there next book.

Roy

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 08:26:07 PM »
Thank you for showing these, Roy.

What size are they, please?

Fred.

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 04:28:41 AM »
Fred

They are 3.75" / 9.5cm
and 3.5" / 9cm

Roy

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 08:14:46 AM »
Thank you, Roy.

Fred.

Offline Keencollector

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 12:11:38 PM »
I have the one that is 9 cm high with fluted top and also a fluted bowl that is 24 cm wide.  This is not marked but was told it  is Pattern 134, C 1885 and a Heppell mould.  I expect it would be one of those purchased by Davidson from Heppell.   It appears on the cover of Standard  Encyclopedia of Opalescent Glass, Fifth Edition by Bill Edwards and Mike Carwile.

Will post a photo in due course. 

Offline Keencollector

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 02:19:08 AM »
This Davidson Coral and Shells Dish is 24.5cm wide at the widest part and 6cm high.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 04:01:23 PM »
Thank you showing us this rare blue pearline piece, Margaret. I especially like the very delicate blue ground, and the opalescent detailing is particularly well executed in this example.

Davidson’ s unregistered pattern 134 sugar, cream and covered butter (most commonly seen in slag glass or opaque white or black glass) certainly have the 'shell & coral' motifs to the sides, but the unregistered pattern 166 sugar, cream and covered butter also have the same ‘shell and coral’ pattern though the pieces are, of course a different shape.

I know that it is commonly stated that Davidson bought most or all of the Heppell moulds, and I presume that, by implication from the marine theme of Heppell’s RD 390586 (24 November 1882) fish jugs and RD 374437 (6 December 188) shell design cream, sugar and covered butter, the ‘shell and coral’ Davidson 134 and 166 pieces were attributed  as ex-Heppell moulds, but I am not aware of any contemporary hard evidence (documents or catalogues) showing the ‘shell and coral’ design as a Heppell design. Does anyone know of any such evidence, please? – in fact, are there any extant Heppell catalogues of any description?

Fred.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand