No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 1950's St. Louis Paperweights  (Read 2626 times)

Offline Krecik

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Paperweights
    • USA
1950's St. Louis Paperweights
« on: April 25, 2014, 02:41:08 AM »
Hello ,

I just purchased 5 1953 , 1954  St. Louis paperweights and have a couple  of questions someone may be able to answer.

1) I have read that there were only several hundred weights made during the 50's , is that correct? 

2) There are several different types of date canes , would they not have a standard cane?

3) One of the weights has 2 date canes , one is 1953 and another appears to be 1954 . Has anyone seen dual canes before and or conflicting date canes?

Thanks ,

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: 1950's St. Louis Paperweights
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 09:19:44 AM »

Hi.

1) I have seen the same estimate for numbers made in the 1950s, as I think they only made them for a few years.  I do not know whether there is hard evidence to support it from the factory, but from the limited numbers one sees around it seems a reasonable figure.
2) It would not surprise me to see different designs of the same year cane, as they were re-learning the skills for making canes, and may not have produced a long enough piece at the first attempt.
3) I have been told about - but not seen - a Saint-Louis with both 1953 and 1954 canes: it might be the same one, of course!

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Krecik

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • USA
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 11:34:45 AM »
Thanks ,

I purchased these from a California USA Estate. The Weight with the double date cane I posted a picture of is an overlay mushroom.  I just can't believe my luck in being able to purchase 5 together if there are really not that many of them out there.

Thanks again ,

John

Offline TanToday

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 12:40:54 PM »
I have two Saint Louis Piedouche weights from 1953, and I believe production was limited to under 500.

And I have a Saint Louis double overlay mushroom of 1955.

Speaking of "mistake date canes", the closepack piedouche has the date cane reversed/backwards.

Offline TanToday

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 12:49:44 PM »
In the most recent copy of the PAPERWEIGHT COLLECTORS ASSOCIATION INC. newletter April 1, 2014 there is an article asking for help in sending photos and informatin on 1953-54-55 Saint Louis paperweights to a fellow writing an article for an upcoming issue of the newsletter. He is soliciting pictures and data and asked that you send him those at:

Claude Dauby
30 rue des Louviers
78100-Saint Germain en Laye
France

{there was no email address in the article, only a snailmail one...}

I sent him my photos in larger format along with the information on the weights. An interesting aside, the closepack piedouche was purchased from the Ophrah Winfrey owned collection, she is a HUGE American TV star, FWIW.

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 02:24:55 PM »

Hi.  I know Claude...I have just written an article with him which will be in the 2014 PCA Bulletin.  He does not have email yet....!

Alan

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline TanToday

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 12:23:25 PM »
Oddly Alan, it was only FRIDAY that I got my 2014 Annual Bulletin of the Paperweight Collectors Association copy and read your article with Claude on Chinese Paperweights.....

.... nice work!

Bruce from Pittsburgh, USA

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 12:25:54 PM »

Hi.  I haven't got mine yet!  It takes time to cross the pond....

Alan

Offline Krecik

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • USA
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 02:55:14 AM »
I sent him my photos in larger format along with the information on the weights. An interesting aside, the closepack piedouche was purchased from the Ophrah Winfrey owned collection, she is a HUGE American TV star, FWIW.

Good evening ,

Very nice paperweights. I didn't know Oprah was a collector.  The most famous person I purchased paperweights from was the estate of Casper Weinberger.  You never know who collects paperweights.

Thanks ,

John

Offline TanToday

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 11:43:00 AM »
Saint Louis 1972 patterned millefiori blue color ground paperweight. Five parallel rows of assorted spaced complex canes, alternate with spaced parallel white latticinio rods, on opaque blue ground. Signature/date cane. Limited edition of 400.

This weight was owned by Oprah Winfrey personally, sold at a charity auction Kaminski where I Purchased it in November of 2013. As to the extent of her collection {if any} I don't have any further information.....one way or the other.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand