No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stuart GLASS not Crystal, anyone know of other examples?  (Read 1755 times)

Offline ahremck

• Members
Stuart GLASS not Crystal, anyone know of other examples?
« on: April 26, 2014, 05:07:05 AM »
Just discovered something rather weird about my Stuart blue "Woodchester" water set. I have the jug & 5 pilsners.

THEY ARE GLASS - NOT CRYSTAL !

Does anyone know of other Stuart items that were glass, not crystal?

Ross

PS    Four of the five glasses have the Green label.
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Re: Stuart GLASS not Crystal, anyone know of other examples?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 09:28:13 AM »
Ross — please excuse my ignorance, but how do you know?

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 10:25:54 AM »
I simply grabbed another pilsner (Grapevine pattern) and checked dimensions were essentially the same - which they were.   But the grapevine is much heavier which would be due to the 30% lead content.

Interestingly the blue glasses and the jug do not have the normal touch mark either.

Ross

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 01:16:25 PM »
Happier term might be soda not lead glass ;-)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 07:16:34 PM »
hello Ross  -  regret that my contribution is also going to be less than helpful. :)

I'd agree that in modern parlance the expression 'crystal glass' doesn't have a universally understood meaning, and is likely to be confusing  -  as does 'touch mark' which on the U.K. side of the pond is used solely to describe those marks found on pewter..............   but of course we understand what you mean :)
To say simply that something is 'glass' might be a little economic with details, and I'd probably agree that using soda or lead are more useful descriptions.

I always thought that Pilsner came in bottles :)         As I say, sorry I can't help positively, but always admire your contributions re Stuart.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 01:20:38 AM »
I presume these labels are after 1950? In which case my comment here would provide a possible answer to your question:  www.glassmessages.com/index.php?topic=19330.0

But the trend to soda is likely to have started by 1930, particularly with coloured glass.

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 04:01:07 AM »
My soda glass "Iced Tea" set is a surprise because even the Amber, Green and Darker green items all seem to be the same weight compared to others of their clear ilk.  However, I will concede, that without extensive testing via a spectrometer or suitable density measurements others that I presumed to be crystal, in the normal parlance (AKA lead glass), may be ordinary soda glass.

The Pilsner arises from an Ebay advert here - and made a lot of sense as they make lovely beer glasses.  Looking at my catalogue I now see the formal title is "Iced Tea".

Still asking the question.  Has anyone else  found Stuart "Glass" that  they know is soda glass, not the normal crystal(AKA lead glass).

Ross

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand