No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Empoli Glass?  (Read 968 times)

Offline BigB

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Mid century glass
    • England
Empoli Glass?
« on: April 26, 2014, 06:35:51 AM »
Hi, I'm fairly new to glass and these look very similar to Empoli designs, but far larger than anything I've seen before. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Greg.

• Members
Re: Empoli Glass?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 07:58:00 AM »
Are these in today's auction sale, have I read the date on the label wrong?

If so, copyright and other issues may apply here.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 09:11:06 AM »
Thanks Greg.

The auction is today at Tring Market Auctions.

Like you I have concerns about this type of posting, whether it is a traditional or online auction, in respect of fairness, copyright, and the potential swamping of the GMB.   The GMB relies on the goodwill of its members and moderators, and this could evaporate if it was treated as way of making a fast buck.

I have asked the moderators to move this topic to the Marketplace forum, and, with the GMB committee, to consider this topic's implications.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline BigB

• Members
    • Mid century glass
    • England
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 09:59:22 AM »
Apologies for upsetting people. Sensitive place here. For the record, I am the rightful owner of these items and have the invoice to prove it. Hope that helps.

I love these and was curious if my assessment was correct. I can remove the post if everyone will be more comfortable!

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 02:16:48 AM »
Hello BigB and welcome to the board. If you own the items (I presume you purchased them at the auction?) and took the photos (so you own copyright) then we have no issues with your posting.  8)

What Greg and Bernard were trying to say was that the GMB's ID and discussion forums (except for the Market Place) aren't meant to promote sales of your own items, so they were just trying to establish the situation re the pieces you showed given that an auction lot sticker was clearly visible in one of them.

We're not overly sensitive but, like other forums, we do have rules to work to, so it might be helpful to you to have a read through the links here: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/board,22.0.html so you know what is and isn't permitted. If anything is not clear please do ask for clarification - I'm here to provide techie etc help on request. Feel free to email me directly if you get stuck. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 07:01:38 AM »
Thank you BigB, Bernard and Anne for your comments.

In essence, my main query about the post was one of timing. As I presumed the photos were taken during the auction viewing, prior to the sale itself, looking at the time of the original post.  Sorry BigB, if i have misunderstood and you had entered these items into the sale and then wanted an attribution (however I would have thought an attribution prior to cataloguing would have been more useful to you, rather than in the sale room after you had already entered the items)

I suspect, photos taken outside of the sale room, would have elicited more of an attribution based response.

Offline BigB

• Members
    • Mid century glass
    • England
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 07:28:23 AM »
Thank you Anne for your reply. I think that this is more the response one would imagine to someone's first ever post. I have lots of questions and items in my quickly growing collection that I would love to discuss but the initial responders have hardly provided a positive welcome.

Greg, I appreciate your considered clarification.

Ironically, there still hasn't been a single word about the glass, but let's not worry about that so long as the small print is in order!

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 03:21:41 PM »
They don't look like Empoli to me, but I could be wrong. My guess would be modern Chinese.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 04:02:03 PM »
I'm afraid I rather agree, Lustrousstone, but L can see where the Empoli idea came from.
Sorry you've had a slightly bumpy start, BigB, welcome.  :)

The board has to be very careful of the legal repercussions of using other folks' copyrighted images; they pose quite a threat to us continuing, so we do tend to jump in early, just in case.

And there are a lot of folk who dive in, practically demand that we write their listings for them, then vanish without a word of thanks, or even mentioning the board as a source of their attribution.

We're glass fanatics here, we like talking about glass and learing about it, we don't do "valuations", which many also expect.
We're not a "seller's support group", and have no intention of becoming one.

Forgive us for our zeal in protecting our integrity, and come back with loads of lovely pictures for us to help identify for you!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2014, 04:09:57 PM »
Back to the original question: you might also want to check out Elme and Aseda. Failing that, China lurks ...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand