No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: thumbprint ale engraved 'Philadelphia Hylands'.  (Read 432 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
thumbprint ale engraved 'Philadelphia Hylands'.
« on: April 29, 2014, 08:16:27 PM »
Had this ale glass for a year or two but decided I couldn't read the engraving - it looked difficult to decipher so put it away each time.
Fairly typical of cut thumbprint ales of 1860 - 1880 and the flowery script matches the period  -  about 7" (180 m/m) tall - good quality ground/polished depression under the foot  -  wear to the very out edge of the foot  -  probably soda glass as no ring when flicked.
Then suddenly the penny dropped and the words appeared easy to see and obvious....Philadelphia Hylands  -  not remotely what I would have expected to see.

None the wiser though.............    not sure what it means  -  someone's name  -  name of a hotel.
Different from the usual U.K. cut ale insofar as the printies are oval, and the large slice cut panels would not normally be seen on British pieces  -  might it be from the States?

Grateful for all thoughts and comments, and thanks for looking. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Re: thumbprint ale engraved 'Philadelphia Hylands'.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 04:32:04 AM »
Could be from Philly & just shooting from the hip I'd say its a specific brew or maybe was a brewery back then. It was absolutely typical of how we did local brew marketing, put it on the glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: thumbprint ale engraved 'Philadelphia Hylands'.
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 06:49:12 PM »
thanks Ken...   I'll be patient a little longer and maybe someone else will have some more thoughts along the lines you have mentioned  -  looks like your ideas are heading in the right direction :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand