No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Paul Ysart Super Magnum paperweight  (Read 1815 times)

Offline Nick77

• Members
Paul Ysart Super Magnum paperweight
« on: May 02, 2014, 01:42:12 PM »
Visited a local Antiques and Collectables fair today and found this, a Paul Ysart Super Magnum of canes and twists on a green ground, the dealer didn't know what it was so the price was right.
 It's 100mm diameter by 71mm tall 4" x 2 3/4".

By its canes and twists, pontil scar and slightly grey glass (looks greyer in the photos than it is) I'm sure it's Monart period 30's to 40's.

This is the first I've seen of this size so I assume there weren't too many made?

Nick

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Roger H

• Members
Re: Paul Ysart Super Magnum paperweight
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 09:48:11 PM »
Well done Nick, I believe you're probably correct in attribution. Guess Paul must have had a lot of canes to use up to make one that size,the biggest one I've ever had was 3.70 inches.
       Regards Roger

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 10:36:04 PM »
Hi Nick,

What luck! Great weight... Well done.

SophieB

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 09:00:32 AM »
Thanks both, it's been sat on the table beside my chair since I bought it, due to the size of the dome the magnification is such that the canes are easy to see without picking it up. I'll be sorry to see this one go I think.

Just back from my Sunday morning car boot trawl but nothing today, I think I've had my luck this week ;D

Nick

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 06:31:24 PM »
Good example.

I call these "scrambled" but Colin Mahoney in his book on Paul Ysart weights included them as "Closepack". The three examples shown by Colin were all less than 4 inch diameter.

My own example is 4.25 inch diameter and I have seen two that were a touch over 5 inch diameter! In total I think I have seen six others.
KevinH

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 11:57:58 AM »
Hi Kev,

Yes an odd one really it's in the style of a scramble but in mine there is only the one layer of canes and twists and none overlap so also a closepack, perhaps scramble style closepack is correct?

Just to show how large this is I took a quick  photo  with a 76mm (3") diameter Caithness weight, they're both on identical stands.

Nick

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 12:06:55 AM »
For completeness I ought to add to my earlier comments ...

1. Colin Mahoney's category of "closepack" (including twist canes) is actually quite fitting for this design as Paul made them very well with few, or only small, gaps between the canes and twists.

2. Although I do call them "scramble", when I put my former web pages together, I used the term "Mixed Canes and Twists" ... because I could not decide between "scramble" and "closepack"!

But I then decided on "Scramble, mixed twists and canes" for the catalogue of the 2013 Ysart Exhibition.

3. Your weight is one of the brighter examples I have seen. Mine is a bit dull on account of the purple tint to the dome.
KevinH

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 08:44:54 AM »
Having been studying this one I have noticed that although the centre is a scrambled/closepack of random canes the outermost canes form a garland of a complex cane then a twist then a complex cane all around the perimeter, as do the two on page 55 of the Ysart exhibition catalogue.

Nick

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 01:10:55 AM »
When used, that form of outer garland pattern is, I believe, standard for this type of weight.

But there are variations (as with my example) where a short twist cane is used on its end instead of a millefiori cane.
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand