No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Flared glass with faceted ball knop  (Read 534 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Flared glass with faceted ball knop
« on: May 03, 2014, 08:40:50 AM »
See three images, each with click main image to enlarge feature, via http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-19869

H. 5½" 14cm, w. 4oz 113g.

This is a large capacity glass neatly flake cut down to the foot, with a faceted ball knop, and neatly ground out and polished pontil scar.

Is it for a drink, or for a sweet like syllabub?

Any information on date, origin, and purpose welcomed.

Thanks for your interest,

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Flared glass with faceted ball knop
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 09:59:32 AM »
faceted ball knops seem to be less than common - at least on what I assume is a wine glass  -  here's another which may have been broken and re-joined with a twist - and this is about 5" tall.         Virtually all of these trumpet shaped bowls are slice cut to some extent - whether they have an everted rim or not - the drawn shank/stem is ideal for this sort of decoration.
Faceted knops occur on some ABP glasses, also often on those tall colourful cased hock glasses from S. & W. and VSL and probably many other factories.

Nothing to do with syllabub as far as I'm aware, and always possible that technically this might be described as a wine flute.
Historically, everted rims seem to have been common on bell bowls in the first half of the C18, but far less common on trumpets and funnels, although of course this piece is more modern than that.

Could be wrong, but I'd suggest that in view of the decorative faceted knop then this piece would date to the late C19 or equally the first half of the C20, and the amount of wear might possibly help with that.
As to origin, really not possibly to say  -  the rim might indicate the Continent.

As you'll know Bernard, such pieces usually defy precise provenance/attribution  - but that doesn't mean we can't say something about them, and hope you get to use it.

These are my opinions only  -  let's see what others think. :)   

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand