No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Monart shape ZK  (Read 1821 times)

Offline Gary

• Members
Monart shape ZK
« on: May 03, 2014, 09:16:46 AM »
My latest Monart purchase is shape ZK.It came with an interesting description in the sale catalogue as a bottle stand. When I picked up the piece Nick Burns (the auctioneer) asked me what I thought it was I told him I was sure it was an ashtray.
The first photo is side on with A being clear glass, B being yellow and orange enamels and C being clear glass and purple.
The rim is highly polished (see thru), the only Monart catalogued shape with this type of finish, excluding the top of some Monart lamp bases.
Gary

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
Re: Monart shape ZK
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 10:38:01 AM »
 :( noo that should have been mine!!  ;)
Post war label? deleted it now from my wish list.

Roberta
Roberta

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 02:10:11 PM »
Did you bid on it ?, I left a bid on the books as I could not make the sale.
It does have a post war label.
It is a heavy piece of glass for it's size, the width of the rim is 1cm thick. I have never seen a piece of Monart glass so thick.
In image one in the previous post, the sizes A, B & C are not to scale, size B the coloured enamel layer is paper thin and give the appearance to be floating in the glass.
Gary

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 02:30:27 PM »
Yes I did bid, probably cost you  ;) - no it ended up you and someone else. It's a fabulous piece.
 The vases went for £380 !

Roberta

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 03:56:11 PM »
Yes I did bid, probably cost you  ;) - no it ended up you and someone else. It's a fabulous piece.
 The vases went for £380 !

I paid less than I excepted so I was happy with the price.
I did view the vases, but one had a crack on the base so did not leave a bid on them. It did surprise me a bit, on the final price.
Gary

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 11:24:43 AM »
Gary,
You will never believe what I've just picked up today  - a ZK size VIII !!! ;D

It has a couple of chips on the rim but was a bargain, not as pretty as yours though - will post some pictures later.
Roberta
Roberta

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 02:25:18 PM »
Here are the pictures - very difficult to get the colour right.
It has a fine sprinkling of gold aventurine starting in the whorls and all round the sides plus some red aventurine. It is mainly yellow with some white and a darker mustard yellow. The clear casing is very thick - about 10mm with the enamel layer very thin - about 1mm. It is 6" diameter by almost 2.25" high and very heavy.
Wow, still can't believe it!  ;D ;D

Roberta
Roberta

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 09:23:12 PM »
Well done Roberta a real nice find, and a fairly rare shape.
Could you post a photo with a side view and one of the base. Not sure if it is pre or post war as that colour scheme was used in both eras.
Gary

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 10:12:24 PM »
Here is a side view, haven't got a base picture yet but it is ground flat with just a trace of a pontil scar and all highly polished - you can see concentric circles when you tilt it in the light.
It really is a hunky solid piece.
I've never seen one before (except on Ysartglass site of course) - now two in such a short space of time.
It was actually labelled "monart style bowl" - I think the guy selling it might have realised it was genuine as I so rapidly grabbed it and paid without really looking at it  - he did a sad smile! ;D ;D ;D

Will try to get a base pic tomorrow!

Did you notice the things on ebay that vanished?
Roberta

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 08:40:29 AM »
oh dear - forgot to actually post the side view - here it is
Roberta

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia