No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Oval pink and white glass bowl with gold ...Seguso perhaps ?  (Read 4771 times)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Hope I've got the description right . Could this be by Seguso perhaps. 17cm's in length. Thanks for having a look.
Mike

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Not sure your bowl would be described as alabastro, it is usually opaque. Here are some examples from Seguso.

John

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
You're right. The bowl is a cased lattimo. It's a nice one, but I don't know who made it.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline ardy

• Members
HI it could be Archimede Seguso. The trails in the gold/copper are often on his pieces but not unique. Here is a lamp of mine that has some similarities,
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Thanks very much for your comments . It certainly is cased in clear glass ...so cased lattimo (opaque white glass) it is  :) Thanks very much for clarifying that point , it's something that has always confused me  (but not any more  ;) )  I really think it's gold and not copper as it has a nice golden lustre which    doesn't really show in the photos.  Great lamp Ardy ! Ta, Mike.
Mike

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
One other thing worth mentioning. Polveri is ground up colored glass. The gold wouldn't be considered polveri.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
It's gold foil, not dust. It's very, very thin and breaks up with the heat and with blowing.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
I've wondered if that is always true, Christine. I haven't seen all the techniques. Some things it's easy to see that it was foil. Other things look more dusted, like they were rolled in a dust, instead of on a foil. I've wondered about that.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Ohhh, thanks very much indeed for that !!
Yes, I can see it is indeed gold foil that is broken up , I thought it came under the definition of 'polveri'...thanks TxSilver . Oppps, this is what happens when researching glass  on-line and you are (one is) fed with miss-information , to a degree !

Perhaps the title of this thread should be edited to avoid confusion  ::) ....sorry. I should have entitled it ' Oval pink and white glass bowl with gold '  :)  !

It's a very nice , perfectly formed ,  bowl but I'd be happy with just Murano if it's not possible to get an ID !  I thought the pink colour (and the combination with white) looked ' Sequsoesq ' !

Post script.....yes I have seen that too TxSilver .
Mike

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Dust would use too much gold I think. Leaf is extremely fine and makes a little go a long way. I suspect the way it breaks up depends on the leaf itself and the way it is handled

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand