No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this goblet a modern reproduction ? Blue cased with hunting scene ?  (Read 3343 times)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Is this a reproduction ? 5.5 inches tall. Thanks for having a look  :)
Mike

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Here is another pic. of the internal base of the bowl seen through the stem ..a pointed spike  ???
Mike

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Reproduction presupposes an original - which is rather unlikely. It is an original piece of engraving, very likely from Bohemia, Germany or Hungary. The main question is, when was it done. Could be any time during the last 140 years, so that is not much of an answer.  I can see from your last picture that it has some considerable bottom wear - which is good. But not conclusive.
Nice piece though. Really well done.

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Thanks Ivo, Iv'e posted a pic. of the base, there is wear forming a ring towards the edge but I guess it could have been applied with sandpaper. The last pic. above is just grime on the windows through the casing. The design seems to have been done with a combination of acid and engraving as far as I can tell. I havn't ever seen a goblet where the inside of the bowl has been spiked at the base forming a pointed cone .
Mike

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
In my opinion it appears to be of older vintage. The top was produced with a clear section between 2 "lip wraps" which I don't think I've seen before. The engraving, as Ivo mentioned, is of a very good quality. In my mind, it doesn't matter when a "quality" piece of glass was produced, it is a significant piece of art and craftsmanship and should be highly regarded. NICE PIECE!

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Thanks for your comment , I only paid £10.00 for it (charity shop) and I have always assumed it was a modern take on something older. I thought the shop would have researched it ! Cheers, Mike.
Mike

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
I think it might be all wheel engraved ...please ignore the acid comment I made !! I've added some more detailed photos and you can see the wheel marks ...
Mike

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Is this goblet a modern reproduction ? Blue cased with hunting scene ?
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 10:07:45 AM »
The wear does not look like sandpaper made. Could be lightly ground though, can you add a detail. Gorgeous piece.

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 02:32:20 AM »
Sorry Frank, for the delay in replying , I don't get a notification of any posts to threads so I missed it . I will try to post some pics of the base scratching at the weekend.

There is one thing that puzzles me about this goblet and that is at the base of the bowl it looks like it has been spiked by a vary sharp pointed implement. The tip of the spike extending into the stem (internally) . looks like it has been stuck on a lathe , I've never seen it before in a goblet. Just wondering what is going on there !  ;)
Mike

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 02:46:37 AM »
That would be due to the way it was shaped, the foot being pinched and drawn out, not added. Other examples can be seen here.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand