No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Frank Thrower's FT58 Greek Key vase as a jug  (Read 1072 times)

Offline pic.man

• Members
    • Frank Thrower Dartington Glass
    • United Kingdom
    • Frank Thrower Glass Designs
Frank Thrower's FT58 Greek Key vase as a jug
« on: May 12, 2014, 08:57:07 PM »
I would be grateful to hear from anyone who has the 9 inch greek key jug version of Frank Thrower's FT58 greek key vase for Dartington Glass. They are rare I believe, and would like to see a picture from anyone who has one.
Many thanks
All good wishes, Tom

Offline pic.man

• Members
    • United Kingdom
Re: Frank Thrower's FT58 Greek Key vase as a jug
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 11:41:26 AM »
I initially put out my request regarding the jug version of the FT58 Greek Key Vase, because I had seen what I thought was one of those 'extremely rare' jugs and was hoping to get some help to identify it as the real thing. There are no details available online that I can find (and I have spent a lot of time looking), but  there are references to it in Linda and Stuart Smithson's book Dartington Glass the First Twenty Years, and in Eve Thrower and Mark Hill's Frank Thrower and Dartington Glass. With no additional info forthcoming I decided to take a chance and bought the jug. It has one flaw - a 1 inch crack below the handle (and is otherwise in perfect condition)... but on the basis that I had never seen even a photo of this jug I thought it might be worth getting it and continuing to research it.

Dimensions - Weight: 1.4kg - Height: 8.75 inches (22cm) - Base: 4 inches (10cm) square - Greek key panels: 5 inches (13cm) high x 4 (10) inches wide.

I would love to see a photo of another jug - and check dimensions etc. All info gratefully received...
All good wishes, Tom

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 04:52:21 PM »
Yours is the first I have seen (looks fine by the way), only the diagram in the book until now.

That is the large Greek Key vase size, I wonder if they made a few jugs with the smaller Greek Key vases too...

John

Offline pic.man

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 11:35:38 AM »
Great to hear from someone about the jug - thanks John. Interestingly, like myself,  he says 'Yours is the first I have seen (looks fine by the way), only the diagram in the book until now'. Still hoping another collector will appear with a photo and dimensions I can compare with...
All good wishes, Tom

Offline pic.man

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 05:29:24 AM »
Some more views of the jug, included the crack under the handle.
All good wishes, Tom

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 09:43:27 PM »
Very nice.

Do you think the crack was formed when the handle was added?

Offline pic.man

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 09:53:24 PM »
I've wondered about the cause of the crack and think it may have occurred at production. One reason I think that is the pontil isn't polished as I would expect from a finished product! Thanks for your interest.
All good wishes, Tom

Offline pic.man

• Members
    • United Kingdom
Frank Thrower's FT58 Greek Key Jug
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 10:42:13 AM »
My research to verify my glass find as an FT58 Greek Key Jug, the 'real thing', has yielded some recent results. I received a reply from Andy McConnell (Antiques Roadshow etc.) who says 'I'm not sure that I've seen one, maybe one in a collection, some years ago', and he referred to it as 'a pretty rare item'. Andy suggested contacting the Smithsons (Dartington Glass the First Twenty Years) and I received a very quick reply from Linda Smithson when I asked if this was the FT58 Jug, saying 'yes you have got it right, it is'.

I am delighted to have stumbled upon the jug, and it has confirmed my belief that rarer pieces are out there - so I will keep looking...

frankthrowerglass.tumblr.com
All good wishes, Tom

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand