No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Value of huge Thomas Webb Art Deco centrepiece?  (Read 2163 times)

Offline aazul3

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Australia
Value of huge Thomas Webb Art Deco centrepiece?
« on: May 15, 2014, 12:59:38 PM »
Hello everyone!

I have come into possession of a very heavy crystal Thomas Webb centrepiece, listed in Miller's 20th Century Glass as from 1934 and being a piece made for the Rembrandt Guild working (from what I remember). It is listed as 300~400 pounds in 2007, but I have not actually been able to find any examples (I tried searching all the auction houses/google/google images etc).

Could anybody perhaps provide a guesstimate for such a piece and perhaps a little more information about it? It is in practically pristine condition (no chips or cracks - just age wear to the base). It weighs a good few kilos...(not easy to pick up).

Thank you in advance!

Adam

Offline aazul3

• Members
    • Australia
Re: Value of huge Thomas Webb Art Deco centrepiece?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 01:03:39 PM »
Here is another pic for authenticity ;)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 02:33:30 PM »
Values are very subjective, we do not tend to discuss them here.
Something is only worth what somebody is willing to pay for it, in that place and at that time.

2007 was before this big recession - prices are not what they were then.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 04:10:42 PM »
Also, Miller's guides are often based on an auction price, or an auctioneer's valuation, or a wet finger in the air, which could be wholly different from what you would get on eBay, for example.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 04:30:29 PM »
It's a well-known enough piece and design, I'm sure it would find it's own value in an online auction.
Just don't get your hopes too high.

The designer was Tom Pritchard, this bowl was produced in the late 40s.

(ref. p21. Art Deco to Post Modernism: A Legacy of British Art Deco Glass, by Nigel Benson and Jeanette Hayhurst, 2003.)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 08:09:00 PM »
Hi -  I think you may have looked at the wrong caption in Miller's - and your comments regarding the Rembrandt Guild refer to another, albeit similar funnel shaped vase/bowl, at the top of the page.
Whilst Pitchford did apparently design both pieces, your design is the late 1940's item, which as far as I'm aware, and going on the information in Benson & Hayhurst, and Charles Hajdamach, does not appear to be associated with the Rembrandt Guild.
Pieces which have that association have the appropriate back stamp indicating that connection.

If it's any consolation, Miller's give a higher value to your later design than the earlier Rembrandt piece. :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 09:24:01 PM »
Here are pix of the 1930's Rembrandt Guild piece  -  described as having geometric horizontal cutting - plus pic of the backstamp.

Offline aazul3

• Members
    • Australia
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 11:23:44 PM »
Thank you everyone!

Ah yes, late 1940s...that would make sense! The back-stamp is a post 1930s one and I always wondered why that might be the case...

It was my father who looked at Miller - I should probably get a copy myself!  ::)

I wasn't thinking about price so as to sell the piece - just out of curiosity. Trying to send this would be a real challenge and cost a small fortune!  ;D

Once again, thank you!

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 10:59:47 AM »
Millers do a free online guide.
You just need to register to be able to see what the guideline prices are. And remember they are guidelines only!

http://www.millersantiquesguide.com/
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 12:51:55 PM »
it's understandable that publications such as Miller's have a vested interest in promoting the higher end of price ranges, but whatever the ethics of such practices, we need these guides.          If they weren't published, we'd be a lot poorer served in terms of images - my Miller's are one of the first general references I use - just so long as it's understood that their prices are guides only.

Then again there are a different set of values for insurance purposes, which would need to reflect the potential difficulty of sourcing a replacement  -  which with something like this might easily prove very expensive. :)

the expression 'a small fortune' always makes me smile  -  surely fortunes are never small ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand