No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Davidson matt black 518 oval flower bowl  (Read 857 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Davidson matt black 518 oval flower bowl
« on: May 15, 2014, 01:16:01 PM »
For interest, a Davidson matt black oval flower bowl pattern no.518 oval flower bowl c.1959 with its original wire top.  About 12" in length x 4¼" wide x 4¼" high, and heavy too.  Quite bizarre looking if I'm honest :-X, and according to Stewart & Stewart's Davidson Glass a history, a modification of the 1937 "Grecian" design, which probably explains its Art Deco look.

Like some other Davidson pieces I've had in the past, this appears to have its price handwritten on the base, may be by the retailer, i.e. 21/- 

I think it could look quite stunning, if unusual, with the right kind of flower arrangement.  I've still got to try and get some rust stains off in the inside where the wire lid has sat, and some whitish marks on the inside top which I'm not quite sure what they are, but have seen on other old matt black glass.  It was in a sorry state when I saw it and took pity on it, but worth every one of its 50 pence ;D
Anne E.B

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Davidson matt black 518 oval flower bowl
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 01:39:42 PM »
That's rather nice but you really should curb these extravagances of yours. We don't want H to be unable to play golf do we

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 07:48:27 PM »
very nice Anne  -  very little of this matt black seems to have survived, or at least it's not seeing the daylight if it is still around.
I suspect the white marks are possibly water stains - hope you manage to remove them  -  and unlike clear glass you can get away with slightly more abrasive efforts without leaving noticeable dull patches.
I also like your price btw - right down my street.

I've a few pieces in matt black, and did see another large (probably Davidson) vase earlier week, but had spent my allowance at that point so had to refrain. :)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 09:33:52 PM »
The rust is slowly coming off and the white marks have reduced slightly.  I'm using Brasso and a bit of elbow grease, having first tried a thick mixture of salt and lemon juice - with no success.  The white marks are on the inside of the scallops and above the water line, but might be caused by foliage.  Its looking a lot better.
I did once clean up the inside of an early 1956 Chance Glass milk glass handkerchief vase with a Brillo soap pad :o It worked a treat, and without any visible damage.  :)
Anne E.B

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand