No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Satin glass ruby encased goblet help please.  (Read 840 times)

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
Satin glass ruby encased goblet help please.
« on: May 16, 2014, 04:08:42 PM »
Evening everybody this is driving me nuts, i cannot find anything on it,  it feels like Victorian satin glass and has a lot of wear to the foot rim, it also has a white lining, and the base looks moulded. It also feels like it has some lead content as it rings when flicked or rubbed. I have no idea of age or maker, it feels really well made. (he says probably being mass produced).

It's 5 1/8th inches in height, 2 1/2 inches across the rim and base
Chris Parry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Satin glass ruby encased goblet help please.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 09:20:42 PM »
I think these are relatively new and made in India. The absence of wear on the foot would be a pointer.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 11:25:11 PM »
I haven't time to look for a reference at the mo, but I agree with Ivo.

I  have a lovely (as in colour, but not the best quality as it scratches easily and feels a bit waxy) pear green vase in satin glass that I believe I saw similar with a made in India label on many years ago.

m

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 06:52:15 PM »
Thanks for your help guys.
Chris Parry

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 07:11:24 PM »
I posted this a while ago and come across this today, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-MURANO-CARLO-MORETTI-RED-SATINATO-POMPADOUR-GLASS-VASE-/311006858928?pt=UK_Art_Glass&hash=item4869740eb0&autorefresh=true, i'm wondering if this is vintage Murano due to the wear and feel of the glass.

A general google reveals lots of similar glass.
Chris Parry

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
Chris Parry

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 08:05:44 AM »
The vase in the first link is Carlo Moretti, a well known Moretti shape that can be found in different colours. The wares in the second link look far more generic.

All the satin Moretti pieces I have handled have been single colour bodies with same colour or clear feet, like this one: https://picasaweb.google.com/Johnmj100/GlassFromMurano#5803181161495124258

No idea who made the following pair but don't think it was Moretti.

John

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 08:39:59 AM »
sorry I'm not on much recently.  I've not replied because I don't know the answer. 

I have a big(ish) collection of Carlo Moretti glass that does not have a white interior.  The satin effect on the glass is very very smooth and beautiful and gives the glass a slight iridescence. 

I also had one light blue piece with a white interior.  That also had the same satin smooth and pretty iridescent ish finish.  Does yours have a slight iridescent finish?  The effect seems to be caused by the way the glass has been satinised - the satin effect kind of looks like it was done with minute particles of sand leaving minute specs of sheeny glass in between causing the iridescent type visual effect (I don't know how it was actually  done though). 

My other pieces that are not Moretti, look as though they were dipped in acid and have a kind of all over smooth satin effect... definitely not the same (again that is just my perception, I don't actually know how the effect was really achieved).

I have no time at the moment but I will try and find some pics of mine later to demonstrate.

m

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 03:18:43 AM »
I'm like many on here i never forget a glass piece. I posted this months ago and come across this today, same feel, same lead crystal ring, same thickness to the encased glass and the same base wear and the one i have found is labeled, i'm wondering if the remains of the sticker on this one i originally listed is a murano oval label ?.
Chris Parry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand