No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Schneider vase with metal base  (Read 1047 times)

Offline Marianne

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Glass
    • Australia
Schneider vase with metal base
« on: June 19, 2015, 05:12:27 AM »
Hello everyone!

I recently inherited a glass vase from a relative in Switzerland. It seems to me to be of very high quality, and I wonder if anyone can tell me anything about it?

It has  metal (bronze??) base, which has the mark 'st. eloy' and a monk icon.

On the glass, is the signature 'SCHNEIDER'.

It is mainly purple glass, with orange circles of glass around the base. Hopefully the picures will load so you can see it?

Can anyone tell me about its age, collectibility, the maker?

TIA, and greetings from Western Australia!

Marianne

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Schneider vase with metal base
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 08:12:37 AM »
Hi Marianne, welcome to the GMB.

Your photographs are empty, they did not make it. Please try and upload them using the upload provided. Help is available here
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/board,22.0.html

Looking forward to seeing the pix.

First clue: The item was made by the Charles Schneider glassworks in France between 1913 and 1940.

Offline Marianne

• Members
    • Glass
    • Australia
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 12:12:15 PM »
Hi Ivo, thankyou for the reply!

Sorry the pics didn't load, I'll try again.

Offline Marianne

• Members
    • Glass
    • Australia
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 12:15:50 PM »
I'm sorry that's not the best picture, and doesn't show the signature etc, but that's what I have on my phone right now - my iPad isnt cooperating ATM!

Is Schneider a well-known glass artist? I've had a quick google and it seems he was quite prolific - what an amazing body of work!

Any other info would be greatly appreciated!

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 02:04:57 PM »
I cannot find this decor in the catalogue and the shape is obscure in the photo. We would really like to look at the signature, and at the bottom of the piece. A photograph showing the shape could help determine date and model. 

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 02:48:34 PM »
Our very own Board owner, Angela Bowey, has in the "Glass Museum" an article on Schneider glass written by Thomas Karman. See: http://www.theglassmuseum.com/schneider.htm

Scroll down about half way, or search the text for "Love", and there is a bowl shown in the same decor as Marianne's vase.
KevinH

Offline Marianne

• Members
    • Glass
    • Australia
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 04:39:20 AM »
Hello. Thanks for your replies, it's so exciting seeing that very similar bowl by the same artist!

I have some more photos I can post now...

Thanks again.

Offline Marianne

• Members
    • Glass
    • Australia
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 02:11:48 AM »
Any other info, folks?

I'd love to know how much something like this is worth!

Thanks again.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 06:56:58 PM »
The only other things I can add are:

The book Schneider by Edith Mannoni, does not include a main photo of any item with the "Love" decor. However, in the back of the book are several pages showing copies of "Reference pages" [company design records] and one of those, titled "Cloisonné", shows a ooloured reference for the "Love" decor. That page is indicated (perhaps by the author?) as being for items made "1925 - 1928". This ties in with the information in the Glass Museum article.

As for the metal stand with the "st eloy" mark, I have no knowledge of that other than what the internet tells me about Saint Eloy (or Eloi) being the patron saint of metalworkers.

Since items in the "Cloisonné" series are said, in the Glass Museum article ( * ), to be "extremely rare", it may be difficult to find a reference to any sales information from which a current value might be deduced.

I would suggest that the only way to determine a current value for this item is to contact a knowledgeable auction house or main dealer. Or, perhaps contact Mr Karman via the website linked below.

( * ) For further information about the article's author, Thomas Karman, see the "Artful Milieu" website
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand