No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Repair to champagne glass?  (Read 3009 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Repair to champagne glass?
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2014, 10:59:15 AM »
Peter, I forgot to say thank you for,once again, taking the time to explain and share very interesting information. 
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2014, 12:00:29 PM »
yes, thanks from me too, very interesting :)

double ended drinking glasses I'm aware of, but something I've only just discovered is 'an 'Irish double sweetmeat glass decorated with flat diamond cutting', on what appears to be a facet cut stem.
Have just seen a pic of this in Derek C. Davis' book 'English and Irish Antique Glass'.
The bowls appear to be identical, with both rims cut in wave form which looks a bit of a cross between a Van Dyke and arch and point design.
But great piece, and I'd guess very rare, and is quoted as c. 1780  -  just a shame can't share the picture with you. 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2014, 12:35:23 PM »
HI ,
         Thanks for the comments , though I too would like some clarification as to what can or cannot be said with regard to public auction sites , personally I have no problems bringing to the attention of others anything I see which I believe to incorrectly identified ,whether through ignorance or deceit , I would only comment if I were prepared to back up my opinion if challenged by anyone.as  M said it seems to happen regularly in the paperweight dept,   edited to add example   http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,56852.0/topicseen.html#msg322185  and why not I say , if it helps others in this forum who come here for guidance to avoid costly mistakes .

cheers ,

Peter.
             Peter

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2014, 01:08:17 PM »
I have a photograph of 3 double ended glasses in the Ulster Museum of Belfast, and the description given.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2014, 01:19:37 PM »
thanks Sue  -  great pieces, and if my reading is o.k. they appear to be c. 1830 - wonder if the museum would take an offer ;D

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2014, 01:26:27 PM »
I doubt it!
They DO have a fabulous collection, not just old stuff, they're really up to date with contemporary work too.
Unfortunately, it's not the easiest of museums to get to, even if you are passing through Belfast. It's shut on a Saturday morning! It took years for me to actually manage a visit, despite passing though 4 times a year.

But worth it once I got there. I can highly recommend it.

Apologies for the lousy pics. It was the best I could do under the circumstances of the lighting and the thick glass casings. (I had a bump on my forehead afterwards.)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2014, 02:27:26 PM »
Very interesting and thanks for sharing Sue :)

The pics shown by Peter and Sue show pieces that look 'balanced on the eye' to me.

m

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2014, 03:37:17 PM »
Thanks for posting those Sue,i suppose they would also save room in the cabinet giving you the choice of two styles ;),as for the fraudulent one posted i think it's perfectly fair to have a swipe and a dam good laugh about it,especially with the books and what not background ::),not to mention them being described as rare example of a type made.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2014, 03:59:17 PM »
'as for the fraudulent one posted i think it's perfectly fair to have a swipe and a dam good laugh about it,especially with the books and what not background ::),not to mention them being described as rare example of a type made.'

Do we know this as a fact?  I think that's why I was making a comment on it - is it right or not?  It doesn't look right to my eye, but I've never seen these before this thread so I wouldn't know.

m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2014, 04:20:03 PM »
and therein lies the problem :)

You can attribute your glass, in writing, to whatever takes your fancy (and there's a lot of fancying going on out there) - but it needs only one person to be able to show beyond doubt that this attribution is false, and immediately those words become misleading and a subsequent sale based on the original description probably fraudulent.

The problem lies in evasive descriptions which may not refer specifically to a date, a maker or style  -  such words as rare and old are subjective and probably nigh on impossible to disprove - and probably not worth the time anyway.       
Plus the old bugbear of knowing that it's not always possible to be certain of facts by looking at a screen image only.

I just don't think it's worth the time and effort of bothering to go down that road, and to some extent it is a case of caveat emptor, especially if you're considering spending big bucks on something you know know nothing about - you should take the time to gen up on what you are buying.        Dodgy sellers are a problem in all walks of life.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand