No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars yard ale question  (Read 7931 times)

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Whitefriars yard ale question
« on: May 24, 2006, 07:11:05 PM »
Hi me again, my charity shop has one of these yard ale's which it would like to sell.
http://www.whitefriars.com/isit_contents.php?ID=1763

It is clear glass and 3ft long with a "Full Lead Crystal" label. It also has a box but the flap is missing from the top and the bottom is sellotaped up.

Question 1: What should the original box look like? This one is the usual cardboard box kind of box with large staples to join it. No marks whatsoever. The Yard ale is held in the box by two yellow sponges and they fit perfectly in the box as does the yard ale itself.

Question 2: A clear one has sold recently for £40. Will the box (if original) and sticker increase the price at all?

Thanks.  :)
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 07:50:26 PM »
It was quite common to use plain boxes for many makers - it is quite expensive to have boxes made to size and if you add printing you need a large quantity to make it economical.

If their value is going down it means people doubt they are genuine or all who want one have one. Go for 100 is my suggestion.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 08:17:39 PM »
Hi Tiger  :D   It's unclear from your posting if you mean it's got a Whitefriars sticker or not.

There was a lot of these yards of ale about at one time (70's?) and I'm not sure Whitefriars were the only makers.
I am not a man

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 08:38:43 PM »
They would be very happy to get that amount or even half that amount. There are a few Whitefriars collector's that comes in, I'll stick £100 on it and see how it goes. :D

Thanks Frank.  :D

Yes, sorry Max, it's got a black and white Whitefriars sticker saying "Full Lead Crystal", as seen on Whitefriars.com.

While someone was cleaning it I spotted the Whitefriars sticker. I litterally jumped off my seat shouting "Whitefriars" and I also did the Victor Meldrew impression (I don't Believe it!).

Before all this someone had stuffed it in a corner and we kept knocking it over as we passed it.  :shock:
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 08:46:07 PM »
Before all this someone had stuffed it in a corner and we kept knocking it over as we passed it.

You have a great way with words!   :lol:  :lol:   I'm glad it's got the proper WF sticker...lovely find!  xx
I am not a man

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 09:00:21 PM »
I vaguely remember that they came with certificates of authenticity that looked like faux-parchment.... or it could have been a strange dream. But I think that they did.  :lol:

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 09:21:37 PM »
Max, Before I had the internet I had a diary on my computer which I used to talk to myself. I've had plenty of practice typing on my diary but it was nothing compared to speaking to ladies such as yourself.  :oops:

Hi, Pinkspoons Perhaps the certificate is in the bottom of the box, I haven't really looked.

You must get some very interesting strange dreams? I know my day dreams are a bit weird. I can't get antique's off my brain and I only stop to look at a woman every 2 minutes, is that normal?  :lol:

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Post subject
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2006, 09:23:20 PM »
Yes Nic, they did come with a certificate.

The ruby ones seem to fetch most moolah about £100, a flint one on e-bay a month or so ago didn't do very well at all, can't remember exactly but £0 - £40 maybe and it had its certificate.  All down to market trends, but this one with label has an advantage..so go for it Tiger!

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2006, 10:00:30 PM »
Quote from: "Tigerchips"
You must get some very interesting strange dreams? I know my day dreams are a bit weird.

Most of my dreams involve pubs...  :D

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2006, 10:21:32 AM »
One of the most interesting things about a Yard of Ale such as this that if  you examine the closed end, you should see that there is no punty mark. Yet the open end has a fire polished rim. So do you know how was it made?

:D
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand