No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Small glass cups engraved "Craigallion"  (Read 831 times)

Offline banden

• Members
Small glass cups engraved "Craigallion"
« on: May 25, 2014, 07:05:14 PM »
Hi

I found 9 of these today and the engraved text is a bit of a mystery to me. The text is "Craigallion", which is a lake in Scotland and a 1880's ship. I can't figure out how they logically should end up in a flea market in Norway.

Some theories come to mind... A restaurant? A long gone brand of Whiskey?

The cups match the price lists of model "Cora" from Hadeland Glassworks in Norway. They are "olive-cut" and polished puntil. I guess from the style and Norwegian price lists, in addition to the font of the engraving that they are made 1900+-20 years.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Banden, Norway

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Small glass cups engraved "Craigallion"
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 08:02:56 PM »
hello Banden - welcome to the GMB.

Regret I can't help you with an answer to your question as to why these are engraved with this particular word  -  but would suggest these are custard cups from the early years of the C20.
Custard cups were very common during this period you mention (and of course go back a lot further), and continued for later than this probably - cut olives of some description being a common form of decoration on custard cups.          I have at least one with identically cut olives.
If we learn nothing else in life, it is that glass travels, and much Continental/Scandinavian material is found in the U.K., and doubtless vice versa.

You don't mention the size (height) - which is always useful - but I'd suggest they are something like 80 mm (about 3.25") tall.

Hopefully, someone may have the answer as to their origin - fingers crossed. :)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 10:28:09 PM »
Hi and welcome to the board :)
Given the dates you mention for production of the Cora (1900 +- 20 years) , is it not reasonable to assume they were made for the Craigallion ship?  I'm assuming there must have been a fair trade of various merchandise on the ships back and forth between Scotland and Norway. Therefore not unreasonable to assume these glasses were bought in to stock the ship and then engraved for it, if the dates of the glass production fall in with the date the boat was launched?

Whilst you are here, can I say thank you for all the information you've posted on the Scandinavian glass website - I think I've  managed to identify an old Hurdal glasverk klunkeflaske thanks to your posts and photographs :)
m

Offline banden

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 07:54:48 AM »
Hi

Thanks for the comments :)

With a little help from a friend I've finally managed to figure out the engraved name :) The glasses probably belonged to the house called "Villa Craigallion" at Fornebu west of Oslo. This name is mentioned in the Norwegian 1910 census and a biography about shipowner Klüver who bought the house in 1916.

This makes me think that the glassed are probably made at Hadeland who produced a very high % of the glass sold in Norway at that time.

Banden

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 08:11:08 AM »
glad to hear you probably have a result.

As we've said, it does appear that olives/cut hollows were a very common decorative feature on all sorts of stem ware and various table glass items, throughout Europe, and I'd imagine that many factories made custards with similar decoration.
However, pieces with engraving such as yours are always of greater interest, enabling you to relate the item to a specific country and period.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 11:56:20 AM »
thanks for posting an update.  I have to say I'm now wondering why a villa in Norway was named 'Craigallion'?  and what link the ship owner might have had to the Craigallion from the 1880's?  Aren't you? 
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 01:33:43 PM »
There is only one lake in Scotland (the Lake of Monteith) the rest are all lochs. ;)

There has been an incredibly long history of shipping between Scotland and Norway for centuries, going back to the vikings and currently consolidated by the company Christian Salvesen.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Alsretro

• Members
    • Scotland
    • My Ebay items

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 09:39:55 PM »
oh Sue...........how could you let us down like this...........and we so rely on your for 'north of the border info.' ;D ;) ;D

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 11:05:36 AM »
To be fair, the article does say the others are unnatural.  :-[
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum