No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Book recommendations?  (Read 2664 times)

Offline Paul ADK

• Members
Book recommendations?
« on: May 25, 2006, 09:07:59 PM »
Today my wife and I purchased six large cartons of older pressed glass that had been sitting in an attic for many years.  Now comes the fun part of trying to identify it all.  We have all three of Florence's Pattern Identification Guides as well as Identifying Pattern Glass Reproductions by Jenks,Luna and Reilly.

We have been home four hours now and have only been able to identify four patterns.  (A sugar and creamer made by Indiana Glass for Montgomery Wards in 1949, is the only one of the four that appears to have been manufactured later than the 1920's.)  Many of the items look to be "one off" rather than part of a set - large bowls, fancy centerpieces, ash trays, and things of that nature I could swear are not to be found in the books we presently own.  Any suggestion as to other books that might be helpful, would be greatly appreciated.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
Book recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 09:29:42 PM »
Well quite a challenge I must say. The Florence books deal with depression glass and it could be possible that some of the glass is earlier. Here is where you would be getting into EAPG. The Jenks Luna book is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to EAPG. They have another called Early American Pattern glass 1850-1910. Another good one is Helen McCain's The collector's encyclopedia of Pattern glass. This book consists of line drawings and is divided into chapters that feature the main element of a design. So say you have a piece with circles as the main feature, you look in the section marked circles. Be prepared though it can make you blurry eyed after a time.
Photos would be a great help because then we would know exactly what period to look at. Terry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul ADK

• Members
Book recommendations?
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 09:40:17 PM »
Thanks Terry, that will give us a place to start.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Book recommendations?
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 06:07:04 AM »
Bill Edwards & Mike Carwile "Standard Encyclopaedia of Pressed Glass", second edition 1860-1930, 366 pages with 5 ot 6 items per page in full colour is highly recommended.

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
Book recommendations?
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 08:17:18 AM »
There is a website dedicated to correcting mistakes in EAPG books. You can view it as a guest (use guest as ID and guest as password - as per the instructions given). I have heard it said (allegedly) that the E&C books are full of mistakes; the website throws up 138.

http://eapglass.hypermart.net/cgi-bin/dbman/db.cgi

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Connie

Book recommendations?
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 09:10:03 AM »
The book that I would recommend is Hazel Marie Weatherman's Colored Glassware of the Depression Era 2.

It has catalog pages in it of patterns not described elsewhere. Some of the pressed glas pieces you describe as "one-off's"  maybe  in it. I have had my book for 7-8 years and everytime I look through it I find pieces I never noticed before.  It is the book I grab first when trying to identify a piece.  It is out of print, but you can find used copies on eBay on through ABE.

For EAPG I agree with Terry, Ivo, and Glen.  I use Edwards, Metz, and McCain.

Unless I am reasonably certain of the motif that the piece is going to be listed under in McCain's, then I use Edward's for browsing.  I find the color pictures easier for an initial identification.  But as Glen mentioned E&C's books are filled with mistakes, so I always verify the information in McCain or in Early American Pressed Glass by Metz.

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
Book recommendations?
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 09:14:41 AM »
I do agree with Connie that Hazel Marie Weatherman's Colored Glassware of the Depression Era 2 is excellent. Likewise, I have sourced items in the catalog ads she shows. It's a fascinating book just to browse through!

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline Paul ADK

• Members
Book recommendations?
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2006, 10:55:37 PM »
Thanks to everyone!  We are off to the booksellers.  I don't know that any of the glass we purchased is all that valuable, but some of it is certainly drop dead gorgeous!

Offline AlmasAttic

• Members
    • Remtique
Book recommendations?
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2006, 02:14:04 AM »
you may find it hard to locate a copy of Weatherman Vol 1 or 2 in a bookstore as they have been out of print for many years.

Best is to check eBay and Amazon as they do sometimes become available there.

Vol 1 is a small book that is nonethless interesting, but the large volume 2 is, as the others have already mentioned, a GEM for identifying glass from the Depression era. It is good to have the two together as she doesnt repeat in vol 2 what she has in vol 1

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand