No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Crystal vase/object, identification needed if possible!  (Read 502 times)

Offline ScandinavianGlassaholic

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Scandinavian artglass
    • Denmark
Crystal vase/object, identification needed if possible!
« on: October 22, 2014, 11:07:09 PM »
Hi, I picked this up a while back at an antiques store... it is a very nice piece, fully cut as far as I can tell. It is also in one piece and not two different piece glued together.

I have two questions, the first is, what is it? Would this just be called a vase, or is there a specialty term for this shape? I have been unable to find anything similar with google.

Secondly, the piece is unmarked, does anyone know who the manufacture might be?

Not sure if this is actually the right forum to ask on, but had to try. Thanks in advance.

I should add that the piece is 32cm tall (approx. 12 4/5 inches).

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Crystal vase/object, identification needed if possible!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 08:50:50 AM »
regret I can't help with attribution or even a use  -  it looks to be a very unusual overall shape.   
There are vases, without this nappy shaped foot, and then there are dished pieces without this flower stem upright, so it's quite a puzzle.        No doubt someone will now post and say it's a common shape :)
My opinion would be that it's a rather OTT stem vase of sorts, but that's an unsubstantiated opinion.

As to origin, my opinion would be either the States or eastern Europe  -  Czech or Bohemian.     
The notched arrises decoration is seen on ABP material (but occurs also on material from other countries), and the buzz motif was also a very popular ABP cut design (I think this is a buzz star as opposed to pinwheel).
In fact this faceted stem showing the notches and bands of three horizontal cut lines certainly occurred on American Brilliant Period glass, and combined with the buzz star and fan cut would suggest the States, but since I know nothing about that period, it's perhaps more tempting to suggest this is a much later European copy, produced c. mid C20.
Much glass from Eastern Europe - now perhaps more correctly called Czechoslovakia - copied the earlier States cutting motifs/designs. 

You don't mention wear, and despite this factor being inconclusive for dating, had this piece been one hundred years I would have expected a fair amount of underside wear  -  but if it were half that age then noticeably less I'd assume.
Water staining might also be more noticeable in an older piece.

Sorry this doesn't give the answer you want - let's hope one of the experts is able to help. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 08:51:46 AM »
It looks like a glass Epernge, and that pattern is typical of modern Czech glass they love the pin wheel type design on the top of yours.

Here is a rose bowl ive just googled with something similar.

http://www.crystalmarket.com/rosebowl.htm
Chris Parry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline ScandinavianGlassaholic

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Scandinavian artglass
    • Denmark
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 10:30:14 AM »
Hi, and thanks for the replies! It really helped knowing what this thing is called.

The epergne has minor wear on the bottom. There was some felt residue that I removed when I cleaned it.

Is there a possibility, that this is only the top piece and that the foot is missing?

I found a similar one (I actually think it is an exact match) on liveauctioneer

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/29657613_american-brilliant-cut-glass-epergne-c-1910

Of course, I take anything read on an auction site with a grain of salt, but it is a start.

Further research is in order, but I do think that it is more likely, as you mentioned 'brucebanner', that this might be Czech in origin.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand