No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Spry or not so Spry ??  (Read 1156 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Spry or not so Spry ??
« on: June 07, 2014, 05:19:09 PM »
At just over 10.5 inches tall,heavy and with a good ring, looks like my other pieces,opinions please, ;D ;D

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Spry or not so Spry ??
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 05:56:46 PM »
 ;)
It makes my eyes go all funny... 8)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 06:34:09 PM »
hi Keith  -  just wish I had an opinion to give  -  regret I've never seen a piece of Constance Spry - what does the backstamp look like?       Does is just say R/Brierley?

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 07:55:25 PM »
Hello Paul, no back stamp on this one, only one of the other 4 pieces I have is marked.....'Brierley by Contance Spry' according to 20th Century British Glass there are 10 different shapes, ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 09:44:20 PM »
thanks Keith  - will keep my eyes open for one. :)

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 04:57:27 PM »
Hi,

The 'Venetian Ripple' moulded technique was used by Stevens & Williams/Royal Brierley on their own production ware (see the example placed at the beginning of the thread0 as well as by outside designers. Both Keith Murray and Constance Spry used this moulding; as far as we know all examples by Spry use it, whereas only a very few by Murray.

I have a blue example exactly the same as yours Keith, I also have a Rainbow ware flared vase with that moulded surface, and another barrel form one with an engraved flower having sinuous tendrils, that is marked 'Royal Brierley'.

Nigel

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 05:37:21 PM »
Thanks Nigel,the 'rainbow' flare sounds interesting and the one with engraved flowers, don't suppose you could post a couple of pictures please, ;D ;D

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 08:29:06 PM »
Sadly Keith I've never mastered the vagaries of putting photos on the GMB, so the succinct answer is, I'm afraid, no, sorry  ??? However, if this was Facebook I'd do it in a trice (assuming the photo was available)........... ;) :)

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 11:12:22 PM »
Never mind, I didn't know the 'Spry' range came in any other colours I'll have to keep a look out, this is my collection, so far...

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 11:17:57 PM »
I don't think the Spry range does come in a colour: I've certainly not seen a piece or a reference to anything other than clear.

Thanks for the image of your collection Keith. I seem to recall the urn shape one on a foot also comes in a version with handles.........

Never seen any with the flower guide/frog (I assuming that's what's in the centre of the two either side of the image Keith?

Nigel

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand