No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Big smokey lamp base with applied tadpoles, "Kunsthandwerk" (=Uhlemeyer) label  (Read 700 times)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Huge smokey grey lampbase, height 40 cm, diameter appr. 26 cm.
Decorated with 8 "tadpoles" in the lower third.

The base has the "Kunsthandwerk" label with the two horse heads which was discussed >> here recently, so there has to be a connection to the German ceramist Richard Uhlemeyer.
Link to an auction of a vintage glass catalogue from Uhlemeyer  >> here.

As I would think that Uhlemeyer didn't make glass himself, this has got to be made somewhere -- but where?
And I wonder if he designed the glass bearing his label, or if he sold glass from other makers under his brand name?
If so -- is it possible to identify this piece? (I am not sure if it was a lamp base originally, may have been a vase converted, as the fitting seems to be glued on to the glass).

Thanks for any thoughts!

Michael

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
I just came across several vases designed by Vittorio Zecchin in the 1920s/30s, same shape, same teardrop decor.

>> Here is one with some info: "...Zecchin worked alongside Venini and CAM even for AVEM and produced at this time in various companies these types of vases..."

More >> here and >> here.

So could be a German "copy" of a Zecchin vase, or even Italian and imported and sold under the Uhlemeyer "Kunsthandwerk" brand name...
Mysterious  8)

The colour seems a little off for a 1930s Murano Soffiato piece, though...

Michael

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand