No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Modern decanter  (Read 698 times)

Offline bOBA

• Members
Modern decanter
« on: June 04, 2014, 01:21:32 PM »
Hi everyone,

i found this modern decanter the other day. I have looked through the Dartington book, thinking it may be part of their ripple range but I cannot find it in there. Any help much appreciated.... Does anyone know if the factory is good with attribution enquiries? I may plan a visit, whether or not this is a Dartington product, as I am down that way later in the year possibly.....

thank you,

Robert (bOBA)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Modern decanter
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 01:30:53 PM »
Hi Robert - as a shape, this is certainly uncommon - what I believe is called a 'waisted bludgeon' or 'bell form' - which is rather obvious really, I suppose.
You don't mention the height or if there is a quality polished pontil depression  -  not that I'd be any the wiser though - or if there are matching Nos.

I'd be inclined to send the factory an email with details plus a photo  -  am sure they'd help, one way or the other  -  mind you nice part of the country to visit.            Best of luck.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 10:19:07 PM »
Thank you for the comment Paul, I will contact Dartington. I think it is a good place to start! I hope to visit later in the year. I appreciate the descriptions too, preferring "waisted bludgeon" over the more straightforward, though accurate, description of "bell" shape.

Robert (bOBA)

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 09:16:56 PM »
It is always good to get a reply from a factory. Dartington say this decanter is likely not theirs. They also suggested looking for a "D" mark on the base. However, I do have a Showstopper decanter I posted here and I am pretty sure that did not have an impressed "D" ...... but I could take it with me to the factory later in the year to be extra certain.... I may try Caithness too, then further afield ......

Robert (bOBA)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 10:43:42 PM »
Dartington have used a very small etched D which can look like a B: http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-29

as well as Dartington etched in small letters.

John

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 07:00:38 PM »
Wish I could be of help... it's a beautiful decanter.

I was looking through my Gralglas book and realized that some pieces from the 50s and 60s have got  very similar 'ripples' going in the same direction as your pieces.  Have you given a thought to Germany?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand