No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: MacBeth Evans Petalware bowl.  (Read 2805 times)

Offline Sendhandfran

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • UK
MacBeth Evans Petalware bowl.
« on: June 13, 2014, 05:45:00 PM »
Hi, this was identified by smarter folks than me on glass as by MacBeth Evans c.1930/40s.
I had no idea who it was by when i got it, i just fell in love with its beauty. It was some time later i found that it glowed green  ;D
Victorian glass. Uranium

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: MacBeth Evans Petalware bowl.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 09:26:21 PM »
That's not uranium, sorry. it's the same glass as American sweetheart, i.e., Monax, which is not uranium

Offline Sendhandfran

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 11:55:14 PM »
Thanks Lustresstone. It was someone else thought it was uranium. I've never seen any MacBeth Evans uranium glass, so have little to go on. I have a white American Sweetheart Monax sherbert dish, which doesn't glow at all, i think got from the same person, they must have liked MacBeth Evans.
Victorian glass. Uranium

Offline Sendhandfran

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 10:17:04 AM »
Hi Lustresstone, are you sure this isn't uranium? someone said they don't react well to LED torches, which is all i have. I didn't buy it thinking it was btw, but be nice if it were. You got me thinking what else i have that may not be uranium :(
Victorian glass. Uranium

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 02:56:13 PM »
I don't think it's uranium; the glow looks too dull like the manganese glow.  Monax is definitely not uranium, but is your bowl white or pale beige. If it's pale beige, the colour is Ivrene aka Cremax

Offline Sendhandfran

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 08:51:31 PM »
Very interesting. Thanks Lustrsstone. Its not white, i thought cream or pale beige as you say :) the thin bits between the thick look blue though. I thought it might have been uranium after being told a torch isn't the best way to see it & seeing another one, lit up with a proper black light, but in the daylight photos it looked the same as this. I did wonder though, because its not bright & i guess they can look the same in daylight with or without uranium.
Victorian glass. Uranium

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand