No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID Help please on aSingle Bubble Crystal Wine Carafe/Vase  (Read 3636 times)

Offline antiquenana

• Members
ID Help please on aSingle Bubble Crystal Wine Carafe/Vase
« on: May 12, 2006, 09:51:07 PM »
Does anyone have a clue as to who might have made this beautiful crystal art glass piece?  This goodie has been suggested as being made by Iitalia, Finland but the ones found are not like this one on the base above the bubble. Their pieces slope upwards whereas this one is flat on the bottom of the carafe or vase. It is 9.5" tall and holds one quart of liquid. It is a heavy piece weighing in at two and a half pounds Any input is greatly appreciated.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 09:54:13 PM »
Hi antiquenana,

I think this is Polish. Krosno Bonny.

If I am wrong, I am sure that I will be corrected.  :D
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 10:08:41 PM »
I was thinking along similar lines Della.  Antiquenana?  It's useful if you add your location alongside your name...I'm guessing you're in the States as you mentioned a 'quart'?
 :)
I am not a man

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 10:12:59 PM »
Hi Max, :lol:

Now I know that I am learning something here then :lol:

These are the only pictures that I can find for comparison.
They seem to sell well here in the Netherlands.

http://www.galeriedeluxe.nl/index.php?krosnobonny
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline antiquenana

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 10:53:36 PM »
Hi Max & Della, thank you so very much for your super quick and accurate responses. By golly, you nailed the maker and pattern.  :D  Now to figure out if it is used for a wine carafe or a flower vase??? It may be up to an individual. Wonder if there is a site that has these items priced? I have seached to no avail. Again, thank you both. Antiquenana

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 11:24:08 PM »
lol Antiquenana  :D

I'm not sure it's conclusively Krosno.  It's very like their glass, but there's a LOT of companies that made/make similar glass.  I bought a vase in Woolworths for about £3.99 that had an identical bubble in the base.   :?

Sorry to be vague...but when a design becomes popular, everyone jumps on the bandwagon and makes something similar - it can be a bit of a minefield.  As Della says, Krosno is a good place to start looking.  :)
I am not a man

Offline antiquenana

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 05:33:54 PM »
Max, yes, I am in the U.S. That has been added to the profile so maybe of some help in the future. Thank you again for your help.

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 08:46:05 PM »
I think Krosno is a reasonable bet for the clear stuff - but just can't be sure until proven.

Antiquenana see other topics currently high on the list about bubble bases to get an inkling for the difficulties we have in sorting these out.

Nothing wrong with Krosno (Poland) if it is though - several of us here are fans. Their stuff is good quality - hard to fault - but glassware rather than art-glass - designed to be used.
Pete

Offline antiquenana

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 09:20:48 PM »
Hi Pete, I was looking at the thread you mentioned in your post.  I was also sent an email from someone on eBay after I posted it on the glass/pottery discussion board about it being Ittalia. When researching Ittalia glassware, the bubble base is totally different. This item is very heavy and well made. As stated in the first post on this board, it weighs in at 2 and 1/2 pounds. Very well made, no bubbles in the glass except the one on the bottom that was an intended design. Thank you for your help. The search and discussion goes onward.  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand