No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: A paperweight I've been wondering about for a while  (Read 1481 times)

Offline RescoCCC

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • United States
A paperweight I've been wondering about for a while
« on: June 14, 2014, 10:57:49 PM »
This came in a couple years ago as part of a multi-generational consignment of antiques and collectibles. There were several other weights, including a nice Clichy millefiori, that I was able to identify. Couldn't quite figure this one out. It measures 2 inches in diameter, and 1 inch high. Polished, concave base.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: A paperweight I've been wondering about for a while
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 12:19:19 PM »

Hi. It is antique, probably French rather than NEGC or Sandwich.  My first thought would be Saint-Louis, as they made a single pear with 3 leaves in roughly the same layout, though the leaves have more in common with Baccarat style!  But a nice antique mini fruit, whoever made it.

Aaln
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 02:40:38 PM »
In my book on old French weights there are examples of saint- Louis pear and a baccarat peach and this one seems to be a blend of the two,interestingly it also mentions st-louis made glass door knobs in this style.

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 02:50:33 PM »

Hi.  I suspect that the makers did not always get the shape quite correct, so there are some rather strange fruit like the one above that are a bit difficult to define as a 'pear', 'apple', 'peach' or 'apricot' !  I have what I suspect was a decanter stopper with two cherries and what looks like a lemon that has had a slice taken off - no doubt for gin and tonic. ;D

I have seen fruit doorknobs from several makers - including more recent Murano ones.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 03:18:33 PM »
Interesting stuff Alan,i've just found a section on fruits in weights and backs up your comments on the variation,especially in strawberries apparently.

Offline RescoCCC

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • United States
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 10:30:12 PM »
Thanks, guys. I knew it was antique, but I couldn't come up with a clue as to maker. It did well at auction, anyway. Collectors seem to be very good at figuring things out.

Offline RescoCCC

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • United States
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 12:04:58 AM »
Just a follow up. Finally found this in a recent book acquisition. It's on page 79, plate 61 in Glass Paperweights of the New York Historical Society. Attributed to, (as Alan guessed), St Louis.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand