No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bristol Blue Decanter  (Read 712 times)

Offline MatW

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Greece
Bristol Blue Decanter
« on: June 18, 2014, 07:51:58 PM »
Hi again, this time I would like your help with this decanter. I think it is from Bristol? And how old would it be? I found some similar shaped ones, but with a broader shoulder, that were dated around 1800. Can this date be applied also to this one? Or is it a later one? As you can see, it has a polished pontil mark, and considerable wear on the bottom. Its height is 23 cm. The 2 on the bottom has its counterpart on the bottom of the stopper, so I guess it is the original one. The word “Brandy” is written on the panel, but very worn. Any help is, as always, very much appreciated!
Mat

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Bristol Blue Decanter
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 07:41:56 AM »
hello Mat  -

My opinion on your bottle is that it's possible it originated in Bristol, but on balance .....taking into account the quantity of known pieces from that city.... compared to the overall amount of blue glass produced - then probably no.

There are some pieces in this colour which are signed 'I JACOBS/BRISTOL', who was active c. 1790 - 1810, but other than these rare decanters it's impossible to say  -  and undoubtedly a lot more blue glass was made in other parts of the U.K.

In view of the short neck on your bottle, it's possible that this is one was designed for use in a spirit frame  -  i.e. to accompany perhaps another two or three pieces.... one for Hollands (Gin) and maybe another for whiskey.
Can't be certain of this but a distinct possibility - it was also often this heavily accentuated barrel shape that was used for spirit frame bottles.
Stand alone bottles are more often found with lozenge or spire shaped stoppers, rather than this ball shape, but nice that you appear to still have the original stopper.

Date wise you are probably in the right area, I would suggest, but let's see what other people think.
Very nice piece by the way.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline MatW

• Members
    • Greece
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 12:06:27 PM »
Thank you Paul again for taking the time to answer me! Yes, it is a nice piece, I love the colour! You are certainly right that this was part of a set of three -some of  the similar ones I had seen came this way. Nice to hear that you think that 1800 is the right time frame - the antiques dealer sold it as Victorian, but I felt it should be older.  :)
Mat

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 01:46:33 PM »
Hi Mat  -  didn't want to make my reply too lengthy - which would have been easy in view of the very interesting history surrounding this particular coloured glass.              But............ ;) ;D

Blue glass, made in the U.K., was achieved by using smalt smuggled from Saxony in the early part of the C18, although apparently this export was banned from Saxony around 1830 because of the high value of the mineral.         
Blue had been used on the Continent long before being used in the U.K.         
At some point in the 1760's, the Prussians - who were occupying Saxony at that time - sold the Royal Saxon Smalt Works entire stock of smalt to an Englishman, and the import to the U.K. through the west country port of Bristol  -  plus the fact that it is first recorded as having been made in that city  -  are reasons for it being so named, although subsequently it was made in a variety of places.

The aforementioned Jacobs was clever enough to give the King a gift of some gilded Bristol-blue glass, and in so doing styled himself 'Glass Manufacturer to His Majesty', and became the first guy to benefit from the value of word association, since he had combined Royalty with the city of Bristol, and never looked back.
The other name associated with Bristol-blue, was the glass decorator and gilder, Michael Edkins from the same city.

The original U.K. stock of smalt appears to have been depleted around 1804, and the Napoleonic wars blocked further imports so home grown supplies were used until imports were again available c. 1815.........  and so it ticks on  -  but a fascinating history of a great colour, and well worth reading.

Worth adding that  ...... in general for British made decanters (and some tumbler type drinking glasses), produced during the first quarter of the C19  .........   the most commonly found base should show a large diameter shallow depression (where the pontil scar would have been).      The outer rim should show a dull mat surface created by much wear.

I suspect this info is all on Wiki, but I've taken the liberty of making a rather brutal precis of some of the info in Andy McConnell's wonderful book 'The Decanter'  -  I know it's an expensive book, but worth every shekel, if you can source a copy.

Apologies for being long-winded, again ;)

Offline MatW

• Members
    • Greece
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 01:51:54 PM »
Hi Paul, your replies can never be too lengthy - just full of knowledge and information! I definitely will try to get a copy of McConnell's book, as I am getting more and more interested in decanters! Thank you again for being so long-winded!  ;) Mat

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 03:50:49 PM »
Here are some pics I took when I went to see the new Banksy at the museum in Bristol . These decanters all date from the 18th century . It's only the first pic. where the two decanters at the front  are signed as being from Bristol. The one at the back isn't signed and from a different set.  All the other decanters are thought to be either from Bristol or London or England . The gilded decorations might help perhaps .
Mike

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 03:53:41 PM »
The Banksy  ;)
Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia