Glass Identification - Post here for all ID requests > Glass Paperweights

Are Chinese makers putting Murano labels on weights?

<< < (2/2)

malcmat:
I also have reported it to ebay but as usual they wont act upon the deception.

Malc

tropdevin:

Hi. There are various misleading labelling activities that seem to be more prevalent in the US than in Europe. Some Chinese weights get labels added, probably in Europe, that imply they are made in Murano - using Italian wording and indicating 'in the style of Murano' - as KevinH notes above this has been discussed on GMB.  Such paperweights may then be imported into the US and sold to the gullible as 'Murano'.  Others, I fear, come direct from China to the USA and are then sold as Murano - but not necessarily with Murano labels.  I don't think the Chinese are the guilty parties in much of this...they just make what people elsewhere ask them to make.

Then there is the world of fake Baccarat and Saint-Louis marks on Murano and Chinese paperweights, which all seem to be offered for sale in the US.

Alan

Fuhrman Glass:
I have been told by some of the Italian glassworkers that I know that several of the shops in Murano are now owned by Chinese companies. I am also sure that some of the Italian workers have gone to China and have helped set up factories there making the traditional Murano items. I sold for a factory in Mexico in the 70's and 80's that hired several Murano maestros to come to Mexico and teach the local glassworkers how to make many traditional Murano items. I can still remember playing poker with them in the evenings. Very intense gamblers. The Murano game has been going on a long time and who knows who, if anyone, actually owns the name or designation. It may, by now, be a generic classification.
In addition, I have friends from the US and the UK who have spent years in China and Singapore developing their glass factories and training their workers. The majority of the best 19th century glassworkers in the US were originally from Germany, UK, Sweden, Belgium, etc. Glass workers have always been a rather itinerant lot.
In my estimation, it doesn't matter where good quality art is produced, it is still good art.
Chihuly has had his items made all over the world. But I don't think any of it is labeled, as to country of original production. His items have been copied and forged as well by many and his name used as a generic classification.

RescoCCC:
Some sellers are honest. I messaged this one, and he ended the listing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251566411870

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version