No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Modern Czech. copy of Lalique Gui bowl? ID = Genuine Lalique  (Read 953 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
looking on the web, the Gui (Mistletoe) pattern started life in the late 1920's  -  and this backstamp agrees with the factory stencil mark which was used post 1926.        Diameter of bowl is about 9.5" (240 m/m) - and it cost me Sterling £3 in a charity shop this morning. :)

But.............   the pattern outline in the bottom of this example shows obvious differences when compared with the original design in similar sized bowls, and wear is not very apparent...........so, although it's still an attractive bowl, I'm fairly sure it's a modern Czech. copy, unfortunately.

Are there other, easier ways, of separating copies from the originals please - and what approximate date were/are the copies being made.     thanks.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Re: Modern Czech. copy of Lalique Gui bowl?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 03:17:14 PM »
I have no doubt that this is genuine. I'm not sure what you mean about the details being different from other examples, your bowl looks spot on to me (check out the clear example here: http://rlalique.com/rene-lalique-gui-bowl). The lack of wear is probably due to it having spent all its life in a cabinet.

I'm not aware of the gui bowl having been copied. The Czech Lalique 'copies' are usually just reissues of Hoffmann or Schlevogt patterns with added stencilled 'R. Lalique' marks, though I have seen an opalescent perruches vase marked Czechoslovakia at one time.

Anyway, it is a fantastic find and I can't believe the price you got it for...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 06:23:55 PM »
Steven  -  many thanks for your prompt and helpful reply.

I tend to get a little paranoid about wear, and if I don't see what I think I should be seeing I tend to fear the worst.
I had looked at an example on line, and it did seem as though the design area differed in the centre of the bowl, but your links do appear to match my example, so all does appear to be o.k.
The information I was using seemed also to be suggesting that copies from eastern Europe had been seen, but this may well have been referring to other designs from this factory, and not this gui pattern.

This came from one of my local charity shops, and the small sticker, which I've kept, says simply '6/6 - £3'.............so I assume it had been in the shop since the 6th of June..........very remarkable that it should have waited form my arrival. :)

thanks again.

Offline Mike M

• Members
    • http://www.manddmoir.com
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 09:00:16 AM »
Yes that's fine and original

of course all the wear should be on the three 'berry' feet -if none is there then maybe someone had a little polishing done there....

Nice find
cheers
M

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 09:22:08 AM »
thanks for the reassurance Mike :)

yes, there is wear on the berry feet, although probably not so easy to see on opalescent glass.

Do you have any idea of the length of production of this pattern ?  -  when I was looking on the web at the gui pattern believe it gave a start date of somewhere around the late 1920's.

Offline Mike M

• Members
    • http://www.manddmoir.com
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 11:55:06 AM »
It was designed 1921

It features in the 1932 catalogue but not the 1937 - can't be sure if it was made later -the main book says 'Not made after 1947' -But usually I'd say if it's not in the 1937 catalogue it was probably discontinued before then -however that signature, on your example, I always associate with early 1940s (pre 1947)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 02:10:48 PM »
very helpful - thanks again Mike.

Perhaps the Mods might revise my original incorrect subject heading to read...   Lalique Gui bowl..   thanks. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand