No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass Rotary Ball Inkwell  (Read 2157 times)

Offline Paul ADK

• Members
Glass Rotary Ball Inkwell
« on: May 26, 2006, 11:33:15 PM »
Todays finds included a very nice black (purple) glass rotary ball inkwell with a plastic (Bakelite?) gray "tortoise shell" cap.  The inkwell is embossed Property of the U.S.Navy.  It was manufactured by Zephyr American Corp., New York, N.Y; the brand name is  Swivodex, and the patent was pending.

I believe this type inkwell predates World War II, but  wondered if anyone could help me pin the date down a bit better.

Thanks

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Post subject
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 08:21:46 AM »
I can't help but a while ago I was researching pens and other writing memorabilia and found a dealer in USA who seemed to be very good.  He was more geared to Parker pens but likely has a wider knowledge.  NOW of course I have mislaid the details, but if I find them I will post for you.  Otherwise, try a \google search and he will more than likely come up.  I think he was based in New York, so could be closer than you think!  

Emmi
PS  Try this one I just found

http://www.1001pens.com/

At least they may be able to point you in the right direction!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul ADK

• Members
Glass Rotary Ball Inkwell
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 11:33:08 AM »
Thanks Emmi!  Jaeger's book, The Write Stuff,  has a color photo of one with a square base (ours is round) at the top of page 105, that is of the same general style as  ours, but then does not have anything substantiative to say about dates, etc.   I like to know more about the items we own, and I find it quite frustrating when authors do that.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Post subject
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 01:54:34 PM »
Yes ~I know how frustrating that can be.  I think they write on a "slow release" system, hoping you'll buy the next book etc. 10 books later you may get the whole story.  Am I a cynic? Anyway, good luck.  I am sorry I can't help further, but I was only doing a bit of research connected with Parker Pens and their collaboration with Whitefriars glass on desk pen/paperweights when I came across this New York based dealer.  Emmi

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand