No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Exbor brandy glasses  (Read 1857 times)

Offline theanimallover

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • UK
Exbor brandy glasses
« on: June 26, 2014, 02:32:03 PM »
Hi
I have just bought some Exbor brandy glasses. Set of 6 etched with deer and pheasants clear glass.
I wondered how old they were? I tried to google Exbor brandy glasses, but didn't find much!
I'll get a photo up soon.

Offline theanimallover

• Members
    • UK
Re: Exbor brandy glasses
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 10:22:10 PM »
Although they come neatly packed in a Exbor box, I don't believe they can be now as I can't find any glasses made by them.

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 11:52:01 PM »
Hi, not impossible, their output was very different in the early sixties before the famous fish and other famous patterns made their name with collectors of today. Some earlier pieces can be thin walled and engraved. The history is not well documented. Ricke explains how engravers from Lobmeyr went there. This exlains some of the finely engraved early pieces and I do not think that some of it was acid etched Exbor. Certainly at some time, when production varied quite a bit, maybe in the 70's only Exbor paper labels were used on some vases and weights.

If the glasses fit the box well there is a good chance they are Exbor. Photos would be great!

Robert(bOBA)

Offline theanimallover

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 12:27:48 PM »
Thanks for your reply Robert! Glad to hear they could still be Exbor, they are very thin glass. I will try to look into the history more (not sure what you mean by 'Ricke explains how engravers from Lobmeyr went there.')

Here is a pic. of one I took when I got them. They are a bit dirty as I'm scared of washing them and breaking them. I will give them a wash later..

There are 6 each different but 3 of deer and 3 of pheasants.

The box is 1950s style, lined with black velvet, there is a sticker on the box saying Exbor. I'll get a pic of that too.

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 07:01:29 PM »
They look probably right to me. Very nice engraving. I would like to see a photo of the box actually... thank you

Robert (bOBA)

Offline theanimallover

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 08:59:43 AM »
Brilliant - thanks!
Here are more pics. The box is very battered - it wasn't really a box until I glued it back together - the inner bit with the velvet was fine.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 06:02:19 PM »
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum