No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pair of random bubble vases, help please. - ID = Webb  (Read 1779 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Pair of random bubble vases, help please. - ID = Webb
« on: June 29, 2014, 04:40:52 PM »
6 and 6.25 inches tall, very heavy with medium wear and polished pontil marks, they remind me a S&W's vase and bowl I have, any ideas please, ;D

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Pair of random bubble vases, help please.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 06:56:26 PM »
Could these be Webbs? just a thought, ::) ;D

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 06:58:23 PM »
They are Webb vases. I cannot remember if the colouring is striped or a spiral....... Nigel Benson attributed a bowl in amethyst for me a while back, they are great designs, heavy and stylish.

Robert

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 07:03:40 PM »
Many thanks Robert I was just looking at one of my Webb vases that had similar ribbing,ta, ;D ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Pair of random bubble vases, help please. - ID = Webb
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 08:11:07 AM »
Just to support Robert's accurate T/Webb id...........    there is an identical purple blotched example in volume one of the Parkington catalogue (1997) - page 39 item 310 - and which is described as .....
"......a Webb thick walled fluted vase internally decorated with purple splotches and bubbles".

Very nice find Keith :)

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 12:38:11 PM »
Thanks Paul, is that catalogue easy to find ?  ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 02:18:53 PM »
not usually a problem Keith - I keep it in the spare bedroom, and never given me a problem finding it yet ;D ;D

I found both on line  -  from memory one was only a fiver, but the other cost me about £30 and came from the States.            There are sources I think that deal in old auction catalogues.

Am sure you'll find them if you hunt around, and judging by the contents they should contain much that's of interest to you.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 04:11:46 PM »
 ;D ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 06:07:51 PM »
have to remember these catalogues don't provide in depth descriptions, and illustrations are smallish, but picture quality is good and MP's collection spanned a wide variety of British genre, and mainly from the high end. :)

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 07:00:51 PM »
Have just been looking online at past auctions for Christies, although they go back to 1997 there seems to be a lot of missing pictures, out of interest what was the estimate placed on the piece ?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand