No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Possible Chance = Golden Lagoon  (Read 1885 times)

Offline B & M

• Members
Possible Chance = Golden Lagoon
« on: May 27, 2006, 07:57:06 PM »
A very attractive bent glass elliptical bowl, possibly Chance. It has a gilt rim and a beautiful design of fish, seaweed & a seahorse, again in gold. It appealled to me particularly as the design closely resembles that on the Barolac seahorse handled vases.
http://i4.tinypic.com/10wt9cm.jpg
It measures about 6 inches long by 4 1/2 inches wide. Again, any help as to date & designer would be appreciated.

Thanks

Steven  :)

Offline bubbles

• Members
    • http://www.glassbudvases.co.uk
Possible Chance
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 08:16:23 PM »
Hi Steven,
Is the gold pattern on the bent bowl on the top of the glass or underneath?  As this may help decide whether it is Chance glass.  Dencill is the person who would probably know.. or at least would find out.  I'm sure he will post soon.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Possible Chance
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 10:13:16 PM »
The second is a very attractive bent glass elliptical bowl, possibly Chance. It has a gilt rim and a beautiful design of fish, seaweed & a seahorse, again in gold ... about 6 inches long by 4 1/2 inches wide. Again, any help as to date & designer would be appreciated.

Hi Steven,
The shape of the dish does indeed suggest Chance, although I'll admit it's not a pattern I've seen before. If you go to my web site and study the 'Dishes & Bowls' shapes, you will see an example shape just like this (came in two sizes, incidentally).

http://www.chanceglass.net

Date & designer is a difficult one unless I happen to see an advert or archived material showing this. Very interesting though and well found :)

Do you have any objections to me using the photo on my site? It might just jog someone else's memory :)
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Possible Chance
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 08:20:38 AM »
Have identified the fishy plate. It is called 'Golden Lagoon', dates from 1960, and is described in Lesley Jackson's 20th Century Factory Glass:

... printed in gold with fish inside a border of seaweed and shells.

So quite an important piece and I need that photo more than ever! Steven: if you can e-mail me, I would be grateful :D
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand