No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Old Small Millefiori Paperweight ID Help Please  (Read 1290 times)

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
Old Small Millefiori Paperweight ID Help Please
« on: July 07, 2014, 12:44:45 PM »
I found this the other day. Heavily scratched so hard to photograph but I have done my best.

Ground and polished pontil mark.  2 inches across and 1 2/8 inches in height.

I would love to know where and when it was made.  I have had a look for myself and thought it might be Silesian 19th century?
“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”
― Henry Ford

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline w8happiness

• Members
  • τὰ ἐφ' ἡμῖν
    • paperweights
    • Tyrol,Austria,Europe
Re: Old Small Millefiori Paperweight ID Help Please
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 03:47:22 PM »
Hi,
first of all I like your motto...

The nice Little weight seems to be a rondello weight, made by St. Mande in France around 1850/60;

a similar design was made by St. Louis during the  same era and a bit earlier, it is often called "garlanded rondello" weight,
the St. Louis pieces are a little bit more elaborate, the covering glass (lead Crystal in both cases) of St. Louis is brighter and
clearer, the layout and millefiori more "sophisticated" -means well placed- St. Mande's domes  have a greyish tint more often.
I do not yet know which is more frequent...
for a more definitive attribution, UV test and/or  cane matching will be required, St. Mande shows gray-yellow or gray-green UV reaction,
whilst St. Louis should Show a pink (salmon?) shade,

A neat find anyway! Cheers from l'Autriche, Erhard
EJM

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 08:53:50 PM »

Hi. I suspect this is a St Mandé piece - the canes, modest quality glass, and general shape with canes relatively high in the dome would fit.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 04:24:14 AM »
Thank you both for your help.

Nice to finally find a French one.
“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”
― Henry Ford

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand