No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large Blue Bowl/Vase - please help with identity!  (Read 5702 times)

Offline abloketalkin

• Members
Large Blue Bowl/Vase - please help with identity!
« on: November 29, 2004, 06:58:16 PM »
Hi folks! I bought a couple of boxes at my local auction 2 weeks ago, specifically for a 1949 William Wilson vase which had gone un-noticed by everyone else. There was also a piece of Royal Bohemia, an art nouveau brass & elm ink blotter & a bunch of other stuff (£25 & half my Xmas pressies bought - wahey!) Anyway, also in one of the boxes was the vase shown below. It's approximately 220mm long, 140mm wide & 160mm at the highest point of the rim, which drops slightly at each end to give a wave effect. The base is flat and polished, though scratched with age. I guess it weighs somewhere between 3 & 4 Kg.

I only have these two photos & my digital camera is out of action, but I'd be seriously grateful if anyone can help me identify it.

The second photograph includes a Whitefriars jug in Kingfisher colourway, purely for comparison as it is identical.

I've only been collecting glass seriously for just over a year, so my reference material is limited and my knowledge even moreso! I'm itching to know where this piece originated. Someone put a great deal of effort into producing this - I've scoured every book in my local library, every website I can think of, so pleeeease can someone help me??!!!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Sklounion

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2004, 07:53:35 PM »
Possible idea, Metelak for Harrachov, who did a range of similar vases @1958, bowls not sure, but will see what turns up,  but please post an image of the Bohemia piece :)
Marcus

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline abloketalkin

• Members
Bohemia piece
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2004, 08:07:55 PM »
Thanks very much LeCasson, you're the first person who's had so much as an inkling of an idea! I will post the Bohemia piece, but it's a very common pattern - a four-sided vase with ovoid/oval patterns on each face about 180mm high - a lovely dark green colour though!

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2004, 10:18:25 PM »
My guess would be Maastricht or Leerdam , it does not speak Czech to me....

Offline abloketalkin

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2004, 01:49:02 AM »
Thanks Ivo - everything you say about the form rings bells with me. For instance, the clear casing together with the depth of blue glass which comprise the base are almost exactly 50% of its height - each time I examine it carefully I notice something new....

Sklounion

Vizner
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2004, 05:10:44 PM »
Ok so Vizner is my Hero du jour ( well ever since I found out about him really and my hero worship just gets worse as I find out more).

Well Peter, if you can get a copy of the catalogue Frantisek Vizner: Sklo 1951 to 2001, William Warmus, you will find a useful background to the man and his work, tho much of the book is filled with images of small edition works, and a relatively small range of mass produced stuff, ie the Rudolphova vase etc. Warmus does give the impression of a romantic artist/hero character, a loner, working on his own, and in some respects the hero-worship is almost over-done. But as a resource, probably well worth the money. Not remaindered and only affordably available through Antique Collectors Club, USA web-site. Unless you (like Peter) :)  drool over the man's work, don't buy if you are only looking for a price-guide.

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2004, 05:53:01 PM »
http://www.barryfriedmanltd.com/

click on artists and then Frantisek Vizner and then drool! He had the whole collection at SOFA Chicago... it was fantastic!
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2004, 10:02:28 PM »
I just checked on my previous hunch: Two very similar Serica vessels by Floris Meydam from 1952 feature in the Meijdam book. True they're H11 x D14 cm and H6x D13,5 cm; True, they're in purple; True, the clear casing in yours is more pronounced - but also true,  Meydam designed tons of items between 1944 and 1986, and he might have dunnit.  

http://tinyurl.com/6gfc5

I think you might run the item by Antikprat in Sweden as well - it could be Johansfors, or Maleras, or Reijmyre after all....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand