No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass Loon from Tiffany  (Read 633 times)

Offline preville

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • identification of family stuff
    • United States
Glass Loon from Tiffany
« on: July 09, 2014, 03:05:04 PM »

We are trying to id a lovely glass loon with no signature or other identifiers.  The family myth is that my mother-in-law and her mother were walking down Fifth Avenue and spotted it in the Tiffany window.  My mother-in-law liked it so her mother walked in a bought it for her as a gift.  It measures approximately 8" x 9" and is characterized by having deep green interior 'innards' visible through the clear satin glass body to vibrant green visibility on the underside of the beak.  The head was painted black. and is now somewhat mottled with clear glass showing through.

Any help with the identification of the artists, or manufacturer would be much appreciated.
Patricia

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Re: Glass Loon from Tiffany
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 03:54:04 PM »
Patricia you deserve a response of some sort.  Although its a bit unlikely it is possible it might have been in a Tiffany 5th ave NY window as Tiffany did import quite a bit of their merchandise sold in that store as did Ovingtons just two blocks away on 5th. Any attribltion is virtually impossible though as it could be from anywhere although Italian (Murano) would be a candidate, imported of course.  Ken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 11:57:42 PM »
Patricia, this is a belated welcome to the Board. :)

I have moved your thread to the general Glass forum as this will hopefully get some more input - and if we get a confirmed ID or at least country of origin, then it can be moved to the relevant forum.

It may be that somebody will ask for some close up pics as I suspect that the way the colours are set may be different to many of the more usual styles we see on animals / figurines.
KevinH

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 12:11:31 PM »
If the head is painted rather than enamelled I would suspect US origin where cold decoration was used more often.

Offline kimo

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Deco, nouveau, brilliant
    • America
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 01:35:43 PM »
I do not know one way or the other, but from the image it does not appear to be of the quality that Tiffany would require for their wares.  My only two thoughts are that very often family myths are just that, myths, and they get changed and embellished in the retelling; or it might have been some kind of window display dressing used as background for the merchandise that Tiffany was featuring in the display?

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 05:08:26 PM »
To me it looks like the birds made by Cenedese in the 1960s using the "Scavo" technique.

Similar one >> here

No idea about the black head, or if pieces like this were sold at Tiffany's.

And welcome to the board!

Michael

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 05:20:06 PM »
Looks right so head colouring would be enamel not cold painted!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand