No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Thistle Style Crystal Champagne/Dessert  (Read 1200 times)

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
Thistle Style Crystal Champagne/Dessert
« on: July 11, 2014, 07:49:51 AM »
I am usually good at finding patterns and makers on crystal Stemware but this one has me stumped. They are the same shape and style as Edinburgh Thistle Peach Melba/Champagnes but dont have the thistle. They have panels around the top with horizontal cuts in between and notch cuts on the stem. A Diamond cut base with two horizontal cuts running around. The bottom of the bowl has panels and horizontals the same as the upper bowl. The Foot is star cut with 32 cuts. They are hand cut and are quality Lead Crystal. No mark on them. They came with Waterford and Tyrone Crystal glasses but look Scottish ??   12cm in height and rim diameter of 9.5cm. Any help with ID and age maybe would be appreciated. Thanks
Pete. :-)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
Re: Thistle Style Crystal Champagne/Dessert
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 11:19:31 AM »
At first glance these glasses look like good quality late Victorian early Edwardian and the notched stem similar to a couple of signed Thomas Webb glasses from that period i have, but not this pattern, are you sure there not a bit older than you think?.

I have had the same dilemma trying to find patterns and makers on unsigned glass it seems impossible to find a pattern name even when they are signed sometimes.
Chris Parry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 11:57:57 AM »
Edinburgh did produce the (general) thistle pattern with two different renditions of the etched thistles at the top and also without the etched thistles at all.
I have seen marked pieces without the thistles.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 04:51:21 PM »
I did think they were Edwardian as my first gut feeling.They have use wear to the base but not as much as would be expected, then again these could have been in a display for years without any use.
                  They came with Tyrone Slieve Donard pattern crystal that were also confusing, not the usual shape for the pattern (Pic Below)
   These do seem to scream Edinburgh but as usual things confuse. Not seen the notched stem apart from other makers as you said brucebanner. I have also seen marked Thistle Glasses without the Thistle but only the Clear ones chopin-liszt. I am thinking that this style would not leave much room for a thistle pattern. The Thistle pattern does have the panels cut in then the thistle. These could have been given the horizontals and notches as extra decoration....its a theory  ;D. The Champagnes in Thistle seem more like short flutes. i have seen a Peach Melba by E&L and that has a Ball Knop and scalloped edge but without the thistle. Any agreement on these being early E&L or Edinburgh Champagne Saucers ???

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 05:59:50 PM »
The small foot on these new glasses you  put pics on, makes me think late 60's early 70's  cut glass, the more i look at the original post the more i think Victorian. here is a pic of a glass dated 1883, similar stem and petal cut, it has no wear at all. It looks brand new.
Chris Parry

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 06:07:40 PM »
When you get your hands on a group of glass as a  single purchase it makes no odds at all they came together, this i have learnt the hard way searching similar patterns for hours on end, i found a pattern yesterday with a bohemian sticker label, i have a set of these glasses i thought were Stuart Glengarry, spent 3 days looking them up, when somewhere in Bohemia they copied the pattern, it's a nightmare, no i will only look up signed glass.
Chris Parry

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 11:14:42 PM »
I agree that the two Tyrone are 60/70. Very heavy and great quality.
I find more patterns  by accident while looking for other things. I have seen a few 'repro' patterns on crystal. Quality speaks for itself usually. I hope I can find out more from here and constant searching   Thanks so far guys. Thanks

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 01:07:06 PM »
I would not be surprised If  they turn out to be E&L over the years I have had many E&L glasses , four a similar shape to yours and with lots of fine cutting marked E&L I am not sure if they were identical it was several years ago , I have a very large set of the thirteen sided step cut Decanters and Glasses bought at the same time , one of the decanters is shown in the Glass between the Wars book and owned by Broadfield house glass museum , I have four different decanters Whiskey Port Liqueur and another plus seven sets of six glasses all different sizes and six ice plates . I was narrowly beaten to another liqueur decanter and six glasses at the National glass fair at Brum as the door opened .

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 09:36:22 PM »
That is impressive Crystal John. Would really like to see some pictures if you have any. Sadly all the really nice crystal stays with me for a short while before being moved on.
    All positives so far with my saucers.  The search goes on. I hate to list without knowing maker on quality crystal so will have these a while yet  ;D thanks for the help so far guys.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 01:58:23 PM »
Now where may you look to see some ? . ;D  I have had these about 30 years . time to go maybe . I sold a nice Edinburgh thistle decanter last week on fleabay  it beats Whitefriars for selling right now .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand