No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Amber and Clear glass Goblet ???  (Read 534 times)

Offline darkman75

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • whitefriars
    • United Kingdom
Amber and Clear glass Goblet ???
« on: July 08, 2014, 01:36:47 PM »
Hi....Unknown Amber and Clear Goblet.....Bubbles in Base which is Polished Flat....
12 1/2 cm High.....
Thanks Andy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Amber and Clear glass Goblet ???
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 12:56:35 AM »
One of the Scandinavian makers I think.... 
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 04:46:31 AM »
I know it certainly looks Scandinavian, but its Japanese imported into the U.S. by a Canadian importer in the mid 50s & is frequently found on eBay listed as Erickson barware. There are several eBay auctions presently running by individuals who don't know Carl Erickson's work. These were imported in truely huge numbers since you can still find them all over the U.S. a half century later.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 08:03:14 AM »
This one was made by Aseda, the 'pinch' in the bowl is quite distinctive, made in various colours and three sizes.

Pina shows sets in two sizes on page 156, Scandinavian Glass: Smoke & Ice.

A photo of three more here: https://picasaweb.google.com/Johnmj100/ScandinavianGlass#5430334855253082434

John

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 08:47:31 PM »
John I have Fire & Ice & have seen these although Pina just says old Fashioned & Wine glasses & does not give sizes. Perhaps the OPs is Aseda as I based my reponse due to documentation we had from the son of the Canadian importer from approx 1999 when we had an Erickson educational website up & running that his father's imports were from Japan. We see these in amber, red, green & light blue here in the U.S. in the OP's size (short, squatty) & besides the probable size difference they certainly do look alike. I have never questioned the validity of the son's account though so I wonder if the Japanese copied Aseda even though it was reported to us that the Japanese ones were imported in the 50s so that opens the door to question our information received. Have to say I am not certain the ones seen here are approx 5" height, have never measured one but off hand I was thinking approx an inch shorter & have not seen them larger...they all seem to be the same size over here.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 07:16:30 AM »
They are also named as Aseda on page 78 of Andy McConnell's book 20th Century Glass, is this a case of a repeated mistake? I am coming around to your point of view Ohio, the first place I spotted them was in the O'Connell book.

What is interesting to me is that they do not feature in this exhibition of Aseda wares (scroll down): http://www.50-talskeramik.se/2013/09/utstallning-aseda.html

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 01:21:05 AM »
Actually John it may be us who is joining you. Had a short discussion with two of the other guys who built the Erickson educational site from 1998 to 2000...we started the site due to the outright miscommunication in eBay auction descriptions selling supposedly Erickson art glass when 95% of the stuff was Murano. We had over 100 photos of our Erickson as well as what was not Erickson that was being sold as Erickson. It worked as the number of Erickson auctions dwindled to a trickle by 2000 although we made a few sellers who claimed to be Erickson knowledgable very unhappy when they lost their following. Either way as one buddy said...the guy was the son of an importer & we simply took his word (although we did check out his story & his Dad was a NY importer for decades), but since his Dad was an importer he could have been importing glass from numerous sources & its a very real possibility the son simply said Japan because he knew his Dad handled Japanese glass imports when it could be his Dad also imported from Scandinavian sources.  Unfortunately that we do not know. Ken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand