No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Puzzle time, again !  (Read 1528 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Puzzle time, again !
« on: July 12, 2014, 11:06:38 PM »
6.5  inches high, marked to the base but where from ?  ;D ;D

Offline Greg.

• Members
Re: Puzzle time, again !
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 07:11:42 AM »
I'll kick things off with Royal Brierley  :) - the design reminds me slightly off a large RB bowl I saw recently.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 07:51:29 AM »
krosno or atlantis.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 11:20:12 AM »
 ;) Made in Poland for M&S.
 (for keeping inedible pretty pickles in.)

sorry, Keith, it's just too much like those bottles for me to be able to see anything past that. :-[
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 12:30:03 PM »
Well that was quick, well done Greg, Royal Brierley Studio, another new shape,resembles the 'Rio' pattern by Gwynneth Newland. ;D ;D

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 12:49:52 PM »
Just out of interest re. RB, in a charity shop yesterday I saw some cut sherry glasses with a Royal Brierley label and underneath was written in a flowing loopy script, " Brierley " alone.
I did not buy them. (sherry glasses  ??? the leftovers nobody wants...)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 12:55:16 PM »
 :)

I came across a large circular bowl, around 20/ 25cm in diameter a while back with this ribbed design.  Fairly plain in appearance, was very surprised to see the Royal Brierly mark to the underside when I turned it over. If it wasn't for the mark, I would never have guessed RB in a million years!

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 02:45:42 PM »
It seems they did more than most people thought, was the 'loopy' script similar to this Sue ? not seen just 'Brierley' on a piece.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 02:57:48 PM »
It looked like loopy handwriting. The tool used was very fine, although there was evidence of it leaving the surface during the creation of the lines... they were not completely smooth. It looked hand-done, by somebody very experienced.
It was on every glass, and exactly the same. The script wasn't thick and "drilled" looking like the one you show. I would think it was a diamond point pen used.
The label was black with a gold outline and gold writing, it read Royal Brierley, it was a paralleogram shape, with rounded corners, much wider than it was tall.
The glasses themselves were of no remarkable cut.
NB.! I'm a philistine about cut stuff. It all looks pretty much the same to me, especially when it's standard classical patterns.

I did swither, for the sake of the mark, but could not justify having to buy the whole set and Michael was hovering nearby, in a sort of; "Don't you dare bring any more glass home." manner.  ::)

The letters were quite big - maybe 3-4mm, not counting the height of the capitals or the ls or the loops of the ys.

I did spend some time studying it - (as Michael got more and more grumpy and concerned about them appearing in the house.)

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 05:01:12 PM »
Sounds interesting, not  seen that type of mark before, well not yet!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand