No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano Ribbon scramble????  (Read 2539 times)

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
Murano Ribbon scramble????
« on: May 28, 2006, 12:51:04 PM »
This is one of the first weights I ever bought and it still fascinates me. I have reached the point now of wanting to know more. There is no lable nor signature. The base is ground and polished to a mirror finish. The ribbons twist every which way and toward the bottom are aventurine ribbons as well. A few random bubbles thrown in. Would love to know country of origin and possibly date, thanks Terry
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-2094

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
murano question
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 01:12:11 PM »
Yes, this is an Italian paperweight from Murano in the Venetian lagoon. This style of weight was made by a specific factory and there are Murano experts in one of the rooms on this board who can tell you which factory made these weights (perhaps an additional post on the Murano glass room might help). I believe these were made in the late 1960s through the 1970s.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 04:13:16 PM »
Could be Avem  :?
Leni

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 09:16:14 PM »
I've honestly never come across any PW that could be confirmed as made at AVEM and given how well documented most of their work is it would be surprising. I was chatting with an Italian guy today who used to work at Fratelli Toso and he told me that during the last hour of each day all the odds and sods were made into PW's that were never marked with their origin and went to the tourist shops. Might explain quite a lot of the unattributed pieces around.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline Jackie

• Members
    • http://www.muranopaperweights.co.uk
A.V.E.M
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 04:18:58 PM »
Chuggy I could not agree with you there - ref. your comment that you had not come across any weights that could be specifically identified as AVEM.  They made many superb hollow crowns- of which I have several in my own collection as well as the ones I sell - and many of those are etched A.V.EM on the base.  All of the traders that I have dealt with over the years on Murano and in Venice are quick to identify the A.V.E.M crowns without any label or etching.  It is a great pity they no longer produce them, a view echoed by many dealers over there.  With regard to the ribbon twist end-of-day - well it is exactly that - an end of day weight which could have been made by any number of glassworks.

Jackie

Offline JP

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006, 07:43:55 PM »
That's a really beautiful weight.

Whenever I read about these end of day scrambles, it makes me wonder how many pieces are being made in a day. How many does one artist produce in a typical Murano glassworks? And I wonder how this compare to a Chinese glass artist, or an Indian glass artist, or a Clichy artist?
p at mahogany roasters dot com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand