No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bohemian Souvenir Ruby Flashed Glass  (Read 485 times)

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Bohemian Souvenir Ruby Flashed Glass
« on: July 18, 2014, 08:05:01 PM »
Picked this up today & usually do not buy souvenir(s) however sixe was decent 5 1/4" height X 3" diameter, color was decidedly deeper than those few I'd seen in the past & cutting was first rate. Eight sided polished panels & heavy bottom wear. I think its Bohemian/German although I don't have a clue about the subject matter location & was wondering if these can be dated at all? I assume an attribution is pretty difficult because in all probability multiple houses made them. Thanks for any assistance. Ken   

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Bohemian Souvenir Ruby Flashed Glass
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 08:18:42 PM »
Unable to see which locations but usually these are souvenirs from trips along the rhine, circa 1870-1920. Blanks from Bohemia, cutting from Germany or Bohemia by hand of photographs. I have several in this style, some more elaborate than others.
Get the locations into google - the same landmarks probably exist today

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline MatW

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Greece
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 09:16:55 PM »
Hi, the place is Marienbad, or Marianske Lazne in Czech, and the buildings are three curative springs located there.
Mat

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 03:50:46 PM »
Thanks Ivo & Mat. Nice to know about the springs & was able to look them up on Google.

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 04:14:58 PM »
I collected these for a while, i love the history behind them, and as said most the places are still there, some are little works of art in my eyes and they cost next to nothing.
Chris Parry

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 05:47:32 PM »
Over here they are pretty difficult to find which stands to reason since the show European destinations & they can be a bit pricy. I paid $42 for this one primarily because I figured I could not lose. Couple of years back I had a smaller one about the 1/2 the size of this one & I sold it when offered $75 just as I was putting it in my mall showcase. The guy who bought it said there was a good chance it was Biedermeier & he collected them, but again we don't see them often at all.

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 06:12:32 PM »
Were very lucky here, all sorts of glass fetches almost nothing. I went to a car boot sale last weekend like your garage sales or maybe you have car boots? and the things there would blow your mind, deco Victorian Edwardian,  a pound here ten pence there, these cost me about £10, i have about 50 of them, if i could get cheap postage to the USA i could make a fortune, i sent ten things to the USA last week and the postage was £130 and the item cost was £100 it's ridiculous i would not pay it, same for Australia. The same internal postage in the uk would be £5.50, glass is heavy hence the postage.
Chris Parry

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 06:55:10 PM »
We have the same problem here with shipping costs to & from GB & thats why sales between U.S. & GB are not even close to what they could be. 

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 07:09:42 PM »
We need Obama and Cameron to sort it out ;)
Chris Parry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand