No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Gordon's (gin) Boar's Head advertising piece  (Read 2074 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Gordon's (gin) Boar's Head advertising piece
« on: July 14, 2014, 06:52:35 AM »
See four images on GlassGallery, each with click main image to enlarge feature, via http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-20046

Hollow at the back, it doesn't work as an ashtray.   It might be part of a lighting fitment, but I can't see how.   More likely it went on a shelf with Gordon's gin bottles behind a bar.

I've seen bottle green examples with coloured enamel decoration before, but not this plain flint example.

I did wonder whether it might be a Nazeing production.

The boar's head is a symbol of the Gordon clan.

Any ideas on purpose, date, manufacturer, &c.?

Thanks for your interest,

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Gordon's (gin) Boar's Head advertising piece
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 07:55:33 AM »
not sure how comprehensive Geoff. Timberlake's book is in terms of different designs, but can't see this item there, so may well not have been a Nazeing piece.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 01:55:56 PM »
May sound silly, but why not contact Gordons? I see its  trademarked so probably licensed & if so would require anyone reproducing the logo for commercial purposes to be registered in Gordon's records as having received permission to manufacture. Maybe Gordons themselves commissioned these to be made for them & since Gordons has been distilled in the U.S. since 1934 it could well be a U.S. glass company.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 02:03:39 AM »
Another one sold recently on eBay, Bernard: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Moulded-glass-boars-head-advertising-Gordons-gin-and-three-optics-1-5th-gill-/161299162136 - but with the addition of surface colouring which is badly worn - and, interestingly, facing the opposite way to yours. Almost like bookends!

A piece about the history of Gordon's Gin revealed that their bottles were made by both Bagley and UGB in the early 20th century, so could they be candidates for this also?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 01:57:39 PM »
Paul — I just suggested Nazeing as being probably the most obvious British glassworks for this type of promotional goods.

Ken — I couldn't find any overseas.   Also my own experience is that British (sometimes including Empire / Commonwealth and usually excluding Canada) and US marketing operations are and were usually quite different and distinct, so I would have expected a British manufacturer.

Anne — Useful.   As almost all glassworks could have made them, I was only suggesting Nazeing as an obvious starting point.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 03:56:53 PM »
I agree Bernard that looking at factories that had the known potential for such material and produced much advertising ware, is a good way of beginning your search.
Although it would seem that this piece almost certainly has nothing to do with Nazeing, the factory name could have been a potential contender in view of their involvement in the pub trade in the 1970's and 1980's.
It's on record that in 1980 alone their sales of ashtrays apparently peaked at something like 1.5 million items, almost all of which (or possible all) carried logos for the tobacco and alcohol industry.

I'd suggest this item is at least uncommon  -  don't believe it has figured on the Board previously - although a possible reason for this is that it might have been made for an overseas market??

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand